- Country Chief Executive Officer: Jim McCabe
- Local time: GMT +6 hours
- Language: Bengali, English
- Population: 164 million (July 2010 est.)
- Currency name: Taka (BDT)
- No. of branches: 26
- Established: 1905 (including ANZ Grindlays experience; Standard Chartered Bank originally established its first branch in Chittagong in 1948)
- We are the oldest and largest foreign bank in Bangladesh
- Only bank that never closed its doors over 100 years of banking operation in the country
- First international bank to extend credit lines to Bangladesh and open the first external letter of credit (LC) in Bangladesh in 1972
- Financial Institutions business is the largest contributor to USD Clearing in New York
- A leading price player in treasury instruments and foreign currencies
- Leader and pioneer in Consumer Banking
Today, Standard Chartered Bank is the largest international bank in Bangladesh with 26 Branches, 57 ATMs and 7 Financial Kiosks; employing over 1,300 people. We are the only foreign bank in the country with presence in 6 cities – Dhaka, Chittagong, Khulna, Sylhet, Bogra and Narayanganj; including the country's only offshore banking units inside Dhaka Export Processing Zone (DEPZ) at Savar and Chittagong Export Processing Zone (CEPZ).
The acquisitions of Grindlays bank (in 2000) and the commercial banking business of American Express Bank in Bangladesh (in 2006) are reflections of the Bank’s increasing commitment to Bangladesh. The bank increasingly invested in people, technology and premises as its business grew in relation to the country's thriving economy. We currently provide both Consumer Banking and Wholesale Banking Services, ranging from Personal & Corporate Banking to Institutional Banking, Treasury and Custodial services. Extensive knowledge of the market and essential expertise in a wide range of financial services underline our strength to build business opportunities for corporate and institutional clients in Bangladesh. Continuous upgrading of technology and control systems has enabled the bank to offer new and improved services such as Phonebanking, I-banking, e-Lending.
Principal Office Address: 67 Gulshan Avenue, Gulshan, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh Tel: + 880 2 8833003 - 4
- First commodity derivatives in Bangladesh and cotton hedge for the Group for Square Textiles
- Joint lead arranger for country’s first 5 year Asset backed Securitization (ABS)
- Record Call Account growth in RAJUK fund – Ranked first among all collecting banks
- Enhancement of Microfinance: BRAC, BURO, Shakti
- First country to go live with IFRS compliant IMEX
- Consumer Banking new asset product system e-Lending introduced
- Rolled out RCMS on eBBS, first time in Group
- Pioneer country in e-CDD rollout
- ‘Best Bank’ for Corporate Social Responsibility for 2006 by Bankers’ Forum
- ‘Best Retail Bank in Bangladesh’ award in The Asian Banker Excellence in Retail Financial Services programme for its performance in 2007
- ‘National Best Corporate’ Award 2007 by Institute of Cost Management Accountants
- "Best IT Use Award 2007" by Bangladesh Association of Software & Information Services (BASIS)
- ‘Best Employer of IBA Graduates’ in 2008 by IBA Alumni Association
- "Best Foreign Commercial Bank in Bangladesh" by FianaceAsia in 2009 & 2010
Points of interest
- Flagship country for the Seeing is Believing initiative where we built an Operation Theatre and Children’s Ward at Islamia Eye Hospital to provide cataract surgery to at least 12,000 patients per annum
- We jointly initiated the 'Standard Chartered-Financial Express Corporate Social Responsibility Award' in 2006
- Leading bank in community activities (please refer to CSR Activities below for details)
Corporate Social Responsibility at Standard Chartered Bank, Bangladesh
At Standard Chartered, in addition to contributing to economic growth through our core business activities, we want to have a broader positive impact on the communities in our markets; the bank is committed globally to uphold high standards of Corporate Social Responsibility. There are numerous ways we are striving to be a force for good; globally as well as in Bangladesh.
Under our ‘Seeing is Believing’ Project, Standard Chartered helps restore eyesight of the underprivileged. The fourth phase of Seeing is Believing – A New Vision aims to raise USD 20 million to develop comprehensive, sustainable eye care for 20 million people in less advantaged areas of 20 cities across the world, including Dhaka. In Dhaka, we have committed USD 1 million to Dhaka Urban Comprehensive Eye Care project that will serve over 270,000 visually impaired people. Standard Chartered Bangladesh has built an Operation Theatre and children’s Ward at Islamia Eye Hospital and provides for its maintenance since 2003.
Through our ‘Living with HIV’ programme we help educate not only our staff but the youth in our communities about HIV and its prevention. We have organized eighteen seminars titled “Confronting AIDS Challenge in the 21st Century” in different universities and cities to spread awareness about HIV /AIDS amongst the younger generation in Bangladesh.
We have also focused our efforts in the areas of history, culture and art, seeking to make a difference and surface little known events and artwork. Recent works have included publications of books such as ‘Dhaka alias Jahangirnagar: 400 years’; ‘Street Traders of Bangladesh’; ‘Ekush’; and “Rare Photographs of East Bengal 1880-1940.” Standard Chartered - The Daily Star “Celebrating Life” Contest is a platform for new talents across the country to pursue their artistic and career goals in Film, Photography & Lyrics.
We also encourage development of youth through education scholarships and sports sponsorships. Our efforts include ‘Governor Scholarship’ in partnership with Dhaka University Economics Department Alumni Association (DUEDAA), Standard Chartered Young Tigers U -16 National Cricket Tournament, Standard Chartered School Chess Tournament and Standard Chartered National School Kabaddi Tournament.
We also encourage all corporate bodies in Bangladesh to uphold high standards of social responsibility. We recognize exemplary work in the field of CSR through Standard Chartered - Financial Express Corporate Social Responsibility Award.
With a presence in Bangladesh that spans over 100 years we believe Standard Chartered is very much a part of the heritage. We believe that Standard Chartered has been a partner in progress for the nation and its people. At Standard Chartered, we are committed to be here for people, here for progress, here for the long run - Here for good.