- Country Chief Executive Officer: Abrar A. Anwar
- Local time: GMT +6 hours
- Language: Bengali, English
- Population: 166 million (July 2014 est.)
- Currency name: Taka (BDT)
- No. of branches: 26
- No. of ATM: 87
- Established: 1905 (including ANZ Grindlays experience; Standard Chartered Bank originally established its first branch in Chittagong in 1948)
- We are the oldest and largest foreign bank in Bangladesh
- Only bank that never closed its doors over 110 years of banking operation in the country
- First international bank to extend credit lines to Bangladesh and open the first external letter of credit (LC) in Bangladesh in 1972
- Financial Institutions business is the largest contributor to USD Clearing in New York
- A leading price player in treasury instruments and foreign currencies
- Leader and pioneer in Retail Banking
Today, Standard Chartered Bank is the largest international bank in Bangladesh with 26 Branches & Booths and 87 ATMs; employing over 2,000 people. We are the only foreign bank in the country with presence in 6 cities – Dhaka, Chittagong, Khulna, Sylhet, Bogra and Narayanganj; including offshore banking units inside Dhaka Export Processing Zone (DEPZ) at Savar and Chittagong Export Processing Zone (CEPZ).
We also have a glorious heritage to introduce many ‘firsts’ in this market – starting from Auto Coupon Encashment Service of Sanchaypatra to International Debit Card to Gold Deposit Transaction. On the consumer convenient side we have been continuously coming up with newer technology and platforms like introducing first ATM in Bangladesh to state-of-the-art Online Banking Platform or even the Facebook platform to stay close to our customers, always.
Standard Chartered Bangladesh provides a wide range of products to its customers to fulfill their every need life including different types of Personal Loans, Home Loan, Home Credit, Auto Loan. We do have a complete ‘Employee Banking’ suite with exclusive offers and preferential features for the employees of the organizations. Standard Chartered is also fuelling the businesses in the economy by facilitating the financing for the Business and Commercial Clients.
Our liability products offer a wide array of Savings products to fit the way how the customers want their money to grow! With 3 types of Savings, 5 types of Current and 2 types of Fixed Deposit products we are always here to encourage our customers to save for the rainy days. We also have ‘School Banking account’ which is to nurture the Savings habit of the youngsters from the early age.
Our portfolio of lending products includes a wide range of Credit Cars and Loans to meet every needs of the customers, starting from simple retail purchase to vacation spend to owning a home.
Our Credit Card basket is enriched with newly added Visa Signature Credit Card – the best top notch Credit Card in the country, along with the other cards such as Platinum, Gold & Classic. Each of these cards is designed to cater different tier of the people with different needs in life. Apart from Credit, we also have Debit Cards.
We cater to our Priority and Personal Banking customers through lending and transactional services from our network of Branches, ATMs and Online Banking.
Standard Chartered Saadiq, our Islamic Banking division was launched in 2009 to offer a comprehensive range of Shariah-compliant products and services to individuals through our Saadiq financial centre. We are the 1st bank in Bangladesh to offer Shariah-compliant Credit Card to our customers and with the launch of Saadiq Platinum Credit Card in 2012, we have created another milestone in this industry. Currently our Saadiq portfolio offers a wide range of Deposit products, i.e. - Saving, Current and Term deposit Accounts; Lending products, i.e. – Auto and Home Finance and Card Products, i.e. – Platinum, Gold and Green Credit Cards; and Accounts & Finance products for the Business and Commercial Clients so that they can enjoy the full banking services without compromising their belief.
Extensive knowledge of the market and essential expertise in a wide range of financial services underline our strength to build business opportunities for retail, corporate and institutional clients in Bangladesh. As the oldest international bank present in this market, we understand & value the local culture and continuously seek to serve our customers with the best possible service maintaining all the regulatory standards, ethics and best practices both at home and abroad.
Principal Office Address: 67 Gulshan Avenue, Gulshan, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh Tel: + 880 2 8833003 - 4
- First commodity derivatives in Bangladesh and cotton hedge for the Group for Square Textiles
- Joint lead arranger for country’s first 5 year Asset backed Securitization (ABS)
- Record Call Account growth in RAJUK fund – Ranked first among all collecting banks
- Enhancement of Microfinance: BRAC, BURO, TMSS, ASA, MSS, Sajida Foundation
- Received “Letter of Appreciation” from the Governor of Central Bank for achieving the Agriculture and Rural Credit Disbursement target for the fiscal year 2013-2014.
- First country to go live with IFRS compliant IMEX
- Retail Banking new asset product system e-Lending introduced
- Rolled out RCMS on eBBS, first time in Group
- Pioneer country in e-CDD rollout
- ‘Best Bank’ for Corporate Social Responsibility for 2006 by Bankers’ Forum
- ‘National Best Corporate’ Award 2007 by Institute of Cost Management Accountants
- "Best IT Use Award 2007" by Bangladesh Association of Software & Information Services (BASIS)
- ‘Best Employer of IBA Graduates’ in 2008 by IBA Alumni Association
- Bank of the Year award by The Banker in 2013, 2012 & 2010
- ‘Best Consumer Internet Bank’ at the Global Finance Awards in 2013
- 'Best Foreign Commercial Bank in Bangladesh' by FianaceAsia in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- 'Bank of the Year' award at the Bankers Award 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- ICMAB's (Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of Bangladesh) 'Best Corporate Performance Award' 2012, 2013, 2014 in the foreign commercial bank category
- 'Best Trade Finance Bank in Bangladesh' by GTR in 2011
- Best Retail Bank in Bangladesh' award by The Asian Banker in 2011
- 'Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Award' by Bankers' Forum in 2009
- 'Best IT Use Award' by Bangladesh Association of Software & Information Services (BASIS) in 2009
- GOGREEN Certificate from DHL in 2012, 2013
Points of interest
- Flagship country for the Seeing is Believing initiative where we built an Operation Theatre and Children’s Ward at Islamia Eye Hospital to provide cataract surgery to at least 12,000 patients per annum
- We jointly initiated the 'Standard Chartered-Financial Express Corporate Social Responsibility Award' in 2006
- Leading bank in community activities (please refer to CSR Activities below for details)
Corporate Social Responsibility at Standard Chartered Bank, Bangladesh
In addition to its business activities, Standard Chartered Bangladesh benefits the country through its wide range of sustainability and community investment programs. The Bank is the forerunner in CSR and Sustainability initiatives in Bangladesh. The major areas of focus for the Bank’s sustainability and community initiatives in Bangladesh are Health, Sports, Education, Arts and Culture, Environment and Climate Change. We continuously carry on various meaningful activities that help the community. We always strive to be a force for good in Bangladesh.
Under our ‘Seeing is Believing’ Project, Standard Chartered helps restore eyesight of the underprivileged. ‘Seeing is Believing’, the Standard Chartered Group’s largest CSR initiative, was born here in the hands of Standard Chartered Bangladesh, and continues to restore millions of eyesight every year. Standard Chartered Bangladesh has built an Operation Theatre and children’s Ward at Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute & Hospital and provides for its maintenance since 2003. We funded free cataract operations for the underprivileged in Chittagong & Sylhet. Standard Chartered Bank, recently signed an agreement with Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute and Hospital for basic cataract operation for the underprivileged patients as a part of 10th Anniversary of Seeing is Believing. Under this MoU, Standard Chartered Bank credit card holders would be able to donate their 360 degree rewards points for basic cataract surgeries with regular lens to underprivileged patients at Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute & Hospital.
Through the ‘Living with HIV’ programme, Standard Chartered helps educate not only our staff but the youth in our communities about HIV/AIDS and its prevention. Under this project we have organized Living with HIV seminars for our clients in the RMG Sector. In 2014, the Bank ran an infomercial on HIV/AIDS – starring Partha Pratim Majumder, world renowned Bangladeshi Mime artist, at various local television channels to raise awareness about this important issue.
Women’s empowerment is central to the values of Standard Chartered Bank and critical to economic development. Women represent a large customer and talent segment for the business and will drive economic growth in Bangladesh in the future. With this in mind, Standard Chartered Bank, Bangladesh have partnered with BRAC and Women Win to launch Goal in Bangladesh. Goal is a unique community program that aims to empower young women for personal and economic development using sport and education as vehicles for change. The number of beneficiaries already reached is 11,300 in 4 districts (Narayanganj, Sylhet, Khulna & Bogra). Already 750 goal champions came out of the project.
Research & Publications
Recently, the bank commissioned a study to assess the social and economic impact of Standard Chartered in Bangladesh. This study was done by Professor Ethan Kapstein from INSEAD. The report assesses the direct, indirect and induced impact of Standard Chartered on Bangladesh and how it positively impacts country’s GDP, employment, trade, various business sectors and the community at large. The Bank has also focused its efforts in the areas of history, culture and art, seeking to make a difference and surface little known events and artwork. Recent works have included publications of books ‘Coins from Bangladesh’ – a special compilation of the history of coins found in this region from Ancient period, medieval period, and Colonial to Modern period. We’ve also published the first bilingual edition of “Chhinnapatra” - a very special compilation of photographs taken by Late Dr. Noazesh Ahmed based upon Tagore’s famous literary creation (as a tribute to Tagore on his 150th birth anniversary). ‘Dhaka alias Jahangirnagar: 400 years’; ‘Street Traders of Bangladesh’; ‘Ekush’; and “Rare Photographs of East Bengal 1880-1940.”
Arts & Culture
Standard Chartered - The Daily Star “Celebrating Life” Contest is a platform for new talents across the country to pursue their artistic and career goals in Film, Photography & Lyrics. The Bank has been sponsoring this for the last 8 years. Apart from the gala annual award giving ceremony, concerts and exhibitions (of photos and films) organized at several districts drew huge crowds. The over-arching theme for “Celebrating Life” 2015 was “Celebrating Heritage of Bangladesh”.
Standard Chartered encourages development of youth through education scholarships and sports sponsorships. Our efforts include sponsorship of Young Learners Club of The British Council; ‘Governor Scholarship’ in partnership with Dhaka University Economics Department Alumni Association (DUEDAA) & Dhaka University Department of Development Studies (DUDS). The bank donated to Utsho Bangladesh, Autism Welfare Foundation as well. The bank also built a classroom in Jaago school for the under privileged students. Recently the bank in partnership with the British Council and support from the Education Ministry launched a physical education teaching aid kit called “Khelte Khelte Shekha”. Thirty six instructional teaching cards based on traditional Bangladeshi Games called 'Khelte Khelte Shekha (KKS)' will be distributed to 32,000 secondary schools across Bangladesh under this initiative. In 2014, the Bank was also the Science Education Partner at Dhaka Hay Festival, as a sponsor we hosted special segments for all children with renowned Children Author Ms. Lucy Hawking, daughter of famous cosmologist Stephen Hawking.
Environment & Climate Change
The Bank also encourages all corporate bodies in Bangladesh to uphold high standards of social responsibility. We recognize exemplary work in the field of CSR through Standard Chartered - Financial Express Corporate Social Responsibility Award. Standard Chartered also partnered with The British Council for 'Climate4Classrooms' and ‘3000’miles to go’ campaigns to raise nationwide awareness on climate change issues, mostly amongst school children and teachers.
Standard Chartered has always stood by the people of this community. During the cold wave that shook the whole country in 2013, the bank handed over warm blankets to Bangladesh Bank for distribution among the poor and cold-affected people in different parts of the country. Employees from all departments volunteered nearly 1,000 days in 2014 (every employee is entitled to volunteer 3 days with full pay for the community) at different events including World Sight Day & World Environment Day. In 2014, Standard Chartered Bank honoured individuals and institutions who served as outstanding examples in the agriculture sector of Bangladesh through Standard Chartered AGROW Award. The award, aptly named Standard Chartered AGROW Award, honoured the industry contributors in five categories of awards. Farmer of the Year (Male); Farmer of the Year (Female); Best Associated Industry in Innovation & Research; Best Associated Industry in Support & Execution and Best Agriculture Export.
With a presence in Bangladesh that spans over 110 years, Standard Chartered is proud to be the oldest bank in the country; and an integral partner in progress for the nation and its people. At Standard Chartered, we are committed to be here for people, here for progress, here for the long run - Here for good.