The report, conducted by the specialised microfinance reporting platform, MIX Market, reviewed the social performance of 28 of our microfinance institution (MFI) clients across 10 countries.
- 72 per cent of MFI borrowers are in rural areas and 94 per cent are women
- 89 per cent of our clients are considered mature MFIs with an established borrower base
- 65 per cent have well-established procedures in place for client protection.
Acting on the findings
The report recommends that we work with our MFI clients to:
- Offer a wider range of products to our MFIs, and provide training to further support entrepreneurial development
- Increase reporting of social data, to constantly improve processes
- Establish more female hiring policies to increase the employment of female staff within MFIs.
Why microfinance matters to us
Microfinance provides much needed financial services to the un-banked and under-banked in many of our markets. We contribute to the long-term sustainability of microfinance by enabling MFIs to access capital markets and begin integrating into the formal financial sector. In 2013, we provided USD271 million of lending to 25 MFIs, benefiting more than 1.9 million people.
This report helps us better understand the governance and strategic focus of our MFI clients, positioning us at the forefront of banks that are working with MFIs to promote more transparency within the sector.
We support agencies who help people like Carolyne start and grown their business.
Access to finance
We're committed to developing products and services that improve access to finance.
Environmental and social risk
We manage the environmental, social & governance risks that come with our financing decisions.