Empowering women

  • Empowering women

Through 'Seeing is Believing', we’ve teamed up with Dr Shroff’s Charity Eye Hospital to provide affordable eye-care solutions for some of the poorest areas of the city. We currently have five vision centres in Delhi, which are all run by women.

Creating a sustainable model

The vision centres are run in such a way that they cover about 97% of their costs. The other 3% is made up of donations. Those who can afford it are asked to pay INR 30 as registration fee plus a small amount towards glasses or further treatment, although about 50% of the treatment is still administered for free.

Awareness about eye care is already high in the communities where the vision centres have been established, so the aim is to increase the reach of the centres by opening more of them. Patients are only asked to pay a small contribution to ensure that the vision centre stays open. Also, the idea of turning them into a ‘franchise’ model has come about.

Women run vision centers

To introduce more women into the workforce and encourage more to come into our vision centres, all five of our Delhi vision centres are completely run by women.

By creating more employment opportunities we’re also empowering women.

Here’s Asha’s story, who at 26 is now managing our vision centre in Trilokpuri, Delhi. Asha wasn’t sure what career she wanted but arrived at our partner hospital, Dr Shroff’s Charity Eye Hospital, looking for a job and joined the intense 18 month technician training programme. After completing the course, she was selected as a vision technician at the hospital, and was one of the first female technicians to work in one of our Seeing is Believing vision centres.

“My parents feel very proud when people come and tell them that they have got back their sight because of me. Personally, I feel respected and admired in the community. It really feels nice when young girls come up to me today to ask about career options”, says Asha. She’s now also enrolled for an optometry course.

Creating opportunities

Dr Shroff’s Charity, also plans to give the women technicians who look after some of the centres in Delhi, the chance to own the vision centres by next year. While the charity would still ensure that the quality of care is maintained, the day-to-day running of the operation would be handed down to the women themselves, giving them a greater standing in the community.

Our Global Presence

We've operated for over 150 years in some of the world's fastest-growing markets. We aim to lead the way in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

Learn about our global business »

Here for good

Here for good is the essence of who we are. It's about sticking by our clients and customers through good times and bad, and always trying to do the right thing.

Find out how we are Here for good »

Back to Top

Speaking Up

Standard Chartered Bank (the “Bank”) is committed to maintaining a culture of the highest ethics and integrity, and in compliance with all applicable law, regulation and internal policy. As part of this commitment, the Bank has a ‘Speaking Up’ programme through which genuine concerns in this regard can be raised. Members of the public can securely raise Speaking Up concerns through this hyperlink, which is hosted on behalf of the Bank by a third party ‘InTouch’. Examples of concerns that can be raised through this website are concerns that relate to accounting, internal accounting controls or auditing matters and concerns relating to bribery or banking and financial crime. Concerns received will be forwarded to the Bank’s investigations team for review. Complaints relating to SCB banking services should not be raised through this site in the first instance, but through the SCB branch network, contact centres, Relationship Managers or the ‘Contact Us’ webpage.

Disclaimer

Please note that this hyperlink will bring to you to another website on the Internet, which is operated by InTouch, an independent company appointed by the Bank to support its Speaking Up programme. Please be mindful that when you click on the link and open a new window in your browser, you will be subject to the additional terms of use of the website that you are going to visit.

Proceed