A. CARDSAFE GUARANTEE
- What is this CardSafe Guarantee about?
Use your Standard Chartered Credit Card for your online purchase and you will not be held responsible for unauthorised online card transaction. CardSafe Guarantee Terms and Conditions apply.
Effectively 01 April 2014 onwards, the Online Unauthorized Card Transaction Guarantee will be renamed as the CardSafe Guarantee.
- Any registration required?
No registration is required.
- Do I have to pay a fee to be covered under the CardSafe Guarantee?
No, this guarantee is provided free to all eligible cardholders.
- How can I report any discrepancies on my statement or transaction history?
Please contact us at 1800 747 700 immediately upon discovery of any discrepancies.
- Where can I go to find out more about how to protect myself from unauthorised online transactions?
You may visit our website at https://www.sc.com/sg/ways-to-bank/online-card-security.html for more information and tips on safeguarding yourself online.
B. TRANSACTION ALERTS BASED ON A PRE-DEFINED VALUE THRESHOLD
- What is a Transaction Alert?
This is an added security measure. When a transaction exceeding a pre-defined value threshold (default: S$500) is charged to your credit/debit card, the bank will send you a Transaction Alert via SMS. You may log in to Online Banking to change the threshold value.
This alert serves as a fraud prevention measure and you should immediately contact the bank if the transaction is not authorised by you.
- What is the threshold amount that will activate a Transaction Alert?
The threshold amount will be S$500 by default. You may choose to change the threshold amount via Online Banking.
- How will I receive my Transaction Alerts?
You will receive all Transaction Alerts by SMS. Please ensure you have updated your contact information with us.
- When will I receive Transaction Alerts?
You will receive an alert:
- When you first use a new/replacement/renewal card
- When you make purchases above the pre-defined threshold amount
- If the bank detects any suspected fraudulent transactions
- Will I be charged for the Transaction Alerts?
The bank will not impose a charge for Transaction Alerts. However, you should check your service provider on whether you need to pay for overseas SMS in the event you are receiving such Transaction Alerts outside of Singapore.
- Can my supplementary cardholders receive Transaction Alerts?
All Transaction Alerts, including the supplementary cardholders' transactions, will be sent to the principal's mobile number via SMS
- Can I opt out of this Transaction Alert service?
Yes. Simply contact our 24-hour Phone Banking Line at 1800 747 7000 or log on to our Online Banking.
C. ONE-TIME-PASSWORD (OTP) FOR CARD NOT PRESENT TRANSACTIONS
- What is this all about?
This security measure is for online transactions. When you make an online purchase using your credit/debit card with a 3-D Secure enabled merchant, a pop-up message will appear on screen asking you to enter the OTP. The OTP will be sent to your phone via SMS. Please ensure that your mobile phone number is updated with the bank.
If you are not an online banking customer, you will be required to register your mobile phone number with the bank in order to receive the OTP.
- What is 3-D Secure?
3-D Secure (3DS) is an added layer of security for online credit and debit card transactions. When a Singapore cardholder makes a purchase at a merchant website that uses 3DS, the cardholder will be asked to enter an One-Time Password (OTP) before the transaction can be completed.
3DS was developed by VISA to improve the security of online payments and offered to customers as the Verified by Visa (VbV) service. This protocol has also been adopted by MasterCard, under the name of MasterCard SecureCode (MSC), and JCB International as J/Secure.
- What are the benefits of 3-D Secure?
VbV/MSC provides added assurance by authenticating you while using your Standard Chartered Bank Visa/MasterCard to make payments online. You can be assured that any online merchant giving VbV/MSC service is a legitimate commercial entity. A private code means added protection against unauthorised use of your card when you make payments online.
VbV/MSC protects your existing Visa/MasterCard with a One-Time-Password (OTP) which you would receive through your mobile number as indicated on your records with the bank or a token device for the password, giving you assurance that only you can use your Visa/Master Card for electronic payments.
- Why is there a need for a One-Time Password (OTP) to complete an online purchase?
The OTP helps to protect against online fraud. It is a secure way to authenticate that the customer making the online purchase is the rightful owner of the credit card being used.
- Do all online purchases require entering an OTP?
No. This measure only applies only to merchant websites that support the "3-D Secure" authentication protocols.
- How do I know if a merchant is a 3DS enabled merchant?
The merchant website will display the logo of 3DS card schemes such as VISA's Verified-by-VISA, MasterCard SecureCode or JCB's J/Secure.
- Do I need to enrol for 3DS with the bank?
All cardholders will be automatically enrolled.
- If I do not have my mobile phone registered with the bank, can I still make an Internet purchase?
You will still be able to make purchases on merchant websites that have yet to support 3DS. For 3DS merchant websites, however, you will not be able to complete a transaction without an OTP.
- Will my supplementary cardholder require an OTP to complete an online purchase?
Yes. OTP have been sent directly to supplementary cardholders provided the supplementary cardholder's mobile phone number is updated with the Bank.
- What if I do not receive my OTP?
If you do not receive the OTP after 20secs, you may click on the "Resend OTP button" to generate a new OTP.
- What happens if I key in the OTP incorrectly?
You will have 6 tries to enter the correct OTP and if still incorrect OTP is entered your account will be locked. You will need to call our 24 hours Contact Centre for assistance to re-set your account.
- What should I do if I change my mobile phone number?
To ensure that you continue to receive the SMS alerts, please contact us to update your mobile phone number.