Standard Chartered Bank Kenya Limited was established in 1911 with the first branch opened in Mombasa Treasury Square. The Bank was listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange in 1989. The public shareholding is just over 25% (remainder held by Standard Chartered), and comprises over 30,000 shareholders. We have a total of 41 branches and agencies spread across the country, 99 ATMs and more than 1,800 employees.
We offer a variety of local and foreign currency banking solutions to meet our clients, transactional, borrowing and investment needs. We have a diversified portfolio cutting across select sectors that include business services, manufacturing, wholesale and retail trade, transport and communication, real estate, agriculture, energy and water. Our target segments are mainly corporate clients, government and government agencies, commercial clients and retail clients.
Standard Chartered Bank Kenya has achieved a number of firsts in the Market: first bank in Kenya to be awarded the ISO 9002 certification in technology systems, first ATM Automated Banking Centre in Kenya and for 24-hour convenience, first to introduce unsecured Personal Loan and first to introduce Priority Banking facilities in Kenya for more affluent customers amongst others.
Our Business model is driven by a refreshed strategy, which is highly focused on the three clients segments (Retail Banking, Commercial Banking and Corporate & Institutional Banking) and supported by five products groups, Standard Chartered continues to perform strongly in its chosen niche.
- Standard Chartered Bank was the first Kenyan Bank to be awarded the ISO 9002 certification in technology systems;
- Standard Chartered Bank opened the first ATM in Kenya and first Automated Banking Centre for 24-hour convenience;
- First utility bill payment and satellite television payment over ATM;
- First to introduce priority Banking facilities in Kenya for more affluent customers;
- First to launch International Photo Debit Card;
- First to introduce unsecured Personal Loan;
- First to launch Mobile Top-Up scheme; and
- First to launch Banking Business Solutions for corporate customers.
Awards in Excellence
- Best Bank, Customer Satisfaction , Think Business Banking Awards 2015
- Overall winner ICPSK Champions of Governance Award 2014.
- Best Foreign Bank in Kenya – EMEA Awards – December 2014
- Best Foreign Bank in Kenya – EMEA Awards – December 2013
- Best Consumer Internet Bank in Kenya – Global Finance Magazine –November 2013.
- Best Foreign Exchange Bank in Kenya – Global Finance Magazine – November 2013.
- Overall winner Corporate Governance –Excellence in Financial Reporting (FiRe) Awards 2013;
- 2012 Green Building Recognition Award
- Second position Best Bank in Kenya, Think Business Banking Awards 2012
- Financial Reporting Excellence Award 2012
- Best Foreign Bank in Kenya 2012 - EMEA Africa Finance Awards
- Green Building Recognition Award - March 2012
- Second position Best Bank in Kenya 2012 - Think Business Banking Awards
- Financial Reporting Excellence Award - (2011, 2010, 2008, 2002 & 2001)
- Best Bank in Kenya 2011 - Think Business Banking Awards
- Best Bank in Kenya 2010 - Euromoney Awards for Excellence
- Best Bank in Kenya 2010 - Think Business Banking Awards
- 2010 Award Winner - Great Work Place (Gallup)
- Corporate Citizenship Award 2009 - Financial Reporting Excellence Awards
- East Africa Most Respected Financial Institution (2003, 2005, 2006) - Nation Media Group and PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Corporate of the Year Bank 2005 - Market Intelligence
- Silver Prix for Most Promising New Product 2005 (Kenya's Fixed Rate Home Loan) Grand Prix Gold Award 2005 - IFS / Deloitte Financial Innovation Awards
- Best Internet Bank (2007 & 2008) - Global Finance Magazine