- Now you can use your Standard Chartered Debit or Credit Card for online purchases in a safe and secure manner.
- Transactions done on websites enabled for Verified by Visa will not be authorized without entering the One-Time Password (OTP) sent to your mobile number and email account in our records. As a result, instances of fraudulent usage on your Debit Card and Credit on these websites will be minimized considerably.
How does it work?
This new feature offers enhanced security through an additional SMS/email authentication process when you pay online with your Standard Chartered Debit or Credit Card on websites that have the 'Verified by Visa' sign. This ensures that only you as the cardholder will be able to complete the online purchase.
- In case you do not receive your One Time Password (OTP), please visit the nearest branch to update your mobile number and/or email address.
- Please ensure that you have enabled pop-up windows in your browser as you will be required to enter the OTP on a pop-up window on the payment page.
- Please note that your Visa Classic Credit Card, Visa Platinum Credit Card and your Visa Platinum Debit Cards can only be used for online payments for merchants based/registered in Nepal, India and Bhutan only.
- Your USD Visa Gold Credit Card can be used for online payments for merchants based/registered anywhere in the world.
- Your USD Dollar Prepaid Card can only be used for Merchants based /registered anywhere in the world except for Nepal, India and Bhutan only.
- What is 3D Secure?
3D Secure is a FREE service facilitated by VISA that lets you transact online securely using your Debit or Credit Card. This service is available only on 3D Secure merchant sites. Verified by Visa (VBV) use password protection during an Internet purchase to authenticate the customer as an added fraud prevention measure.
- What are the benefits of 3D Secure?
VBV provides added assurance by verifying you while using your Standard Chartered Visa Card to make payments online. You can be assured that any online merchant giving VBV service is a legitimate commercial entity. A private code means added protection against unauthorised use of your Card when you make payments online.
VBV protects your existing Visa Card giving you assurance that you and only you can use your Visa Card for electronic payments. The added protection of VBV is automatically enabled on your card.
- What is One-time Password (OTP)?
A One-time Password is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction, on a computer system or other digital devices. OTP is automatically generated via SMS to your mobile/and or Email address for authentication.
- How do I register for 3D Secure?
No registration is required. This feature will be automatically enabled on your card. Please ensure that you have updated your latest mobile phone number/Email address with us, as the OTP will be sent to the mobile number/and or email address in our records.
- How can I update my mobile number?
To update your information, please log onto your online banking or visit us at our nearest branch. If your require assistance on updating your information via online banking, please call us at 977-1-4781800.
- Will I be charged for 3D Secure?
No. This service is free as of now.
- Do I have to register for all my cards separately?
Not required, the feature is automatically enabled on all your cards.
- Is my personal information safe and secure?
Yes. Your card details are encrypted and stored on a secure server.
- I have just received a renewal card, do I have to re-register?
- What happened if I entered the 3D Secure One Time Password incorrectly?
The transaction will fail after 3 attempts of incorrect password, there after you need to re-initiate the transaction.
- What is the Password or SecureCode?
A onetime password is automatically generated to your mobile number/and or email address
- How long is the password valid for once I receive it?
The password will expire in 8 minutes upon proceeding to the 3D Secure One Time Password page.
- I was not asked for a password when I made an online card transaction. Why is this so?
If the merchant is not 3D Secure compliant, you will not be asked for your password. Only 3D Secure merchant sites will ask for a password for authentication purpose.
- How would I know if a merchant is 3D Secure compliant?
If a merchant is 3D Secure compliant, you will be able to see the Verified by Visa SecureCode logo on the site.
- If I do not have my mobile phone / email address registered with the Bank, can I still make an online purchase?
You will be able to purchase online from merchant websites that do not support 3DS. For 3DS enabled websites, you will not be able to complete a transaction without an OTP.
If there is a change in your mobile number/email address or you have not registered your mobile phone/email address with Standard Chartered, please update your contact details with us by either via online or visiting any of our branches
- Can I opt out of the OTP service for online purchases?
A OTP is required for all online purchases made through all 3DS enabled merchants. You may still make online purchases from online merchants that do not support 3DS.
- What happens if I get blocked from the OTP site?
Please call Our 24 hour Contact Centre at 977-1-4781800 to request for a reset of the blocked status. Please note that any uplifting of blocked status is subject to the Bank’s verification of your identity.
- Can the bank resend me the OTP to me due to non-receipt?
No, it may be delayed due to circumstances beyond the Bank’s control as it is dependent on your mobile/ email service provider. Please also ensure that your mobile number/email is updated in the Bank’s records in order to receive your OTP from the Bank.
- How does 3D Secure protect me?
3DS provides an added layer of security by prompting you for a OTP when you make an online purchase. This helps to protect against online fraud by verifying that the customer making the online purchase is the rightful owner of the credit / debit card.
- Does the service file cookies in my computer?
No, the service only uses session cookies, which are filed on your computer temporarily and are automatically deleted when you log out or interrupt the connection.
- What must I do if no verified by visa secure code window appears in the event of an online payment?
You can do the following:
- Check whether the online merchant is a participant of Verified by Visa SecureCode
- Check whether your system blocks pop-ups. If necessary, switch off the software that blocks pop-ups.
- Who do I need to contact if I presume my transactions went through several times?
Please call our 24 hour Contact Centre at +977-1-4781800.
- Can I use Verified by Visa SecureCode on any computer?
Yes, you can. You do no need to install any special software. You can always pay online and always rely on extra protection.
- Do all online transactions require me to key in a OTP?
No, the OTP is only required for online merchants that support the 3DS authentication protocol.
- To whom will the OTP be sent if my supplementary cardholder is performing an online transaction and supplementary card holder’s mobile number is not registered with the Bank?
The OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number of the supplementary cardholder therefore, it is advisable to update the supplementary card holder’s contact details by visiting our nearest branch.
- Can I use one OTP for more than one transaction?
No. Every 6 digit OTP is valid only for that particular transaction and cannot be used for any other transaction.
- What happens if I do not receive the OTP?
One time password (OTP) would be instantly sent to the mobile phone number/and or email address in our records, after you have started the transaction and entered your card details.
If you do not receive the OTP, please check if your mobile number/email address registered with Standard Chartered is correct or not.
If the registered details are correct, you can request for the OTP to be re-sent to you by clicking on the resend link appearing in the below message displayed on the screen. – “you have not received the OTP yet, please click here to request again for your one time password”.
The resent OTP link will be activated 30 seconds after the first OTP is sent.
- How many times can I request for an OTP to be resent to me?
You can request for an OTP to be re-sent to you three times only per transaction. You may need to reinitiate the transactions should you not receive your password after resending for three times.
- Can I receive an OTP when I am overseas?
We will send the OTP according to your mobile phone number in our record. If you are overseas or using overseas mobile service providers, the service provider may not support international SMS however the OTP will be sent to your registered email address as an alternate. Please consult your service provider and / or hardware supplier for details.
Terms and Conditions
- Terms and Conditions for One-time Password for Online Payment (“Service”)
Your use of the One-time Password (“OTP”) provided by Standard Chartered Bank (Nepal) (“Bank”) is subject to the following Terms and Conditions (“T&C”). Please read the T&C carefully and make sure that you have understood it fully before using the Service.
In this T&C:
- “Card” means a credit or debit card issued by the Bank;
- "we," "us," or "our" refers to (i) Standard Chartered Bank (Nepal) or its successors and assigns (hereinafter the “Bank”); and/or (ii) Arcot Systems Inc. or its affiliates (hereinafter “Arcot”) operating the service on behalf of Standard Chartered Bank (Nepal);
- "you", "your" or "yours" refers to the cardholder using the Service.
1. ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS
- The provision of the Service to you is subject to this T&C and the Credit Card Terms. We reserve the right to change the T&C from time to time. We will give you prior notice of these changes by posting a notice on our website or by such other means as we, acting reasonably, determine. You can review the currently applicable version of the T&C by returning to this page at any time. In addition, when using the Service, you shall be subject to any guidelines or rules applicable to the Service that may be posted from time to time at the Bank's website.
- You agree that your continued use of the Service after you have been advised of revisions to this T&C either by notice on the Bank’s website or otherwise shall constitute your agreement to such revised terms and any applicable posted guidelines or rules.
- You acknowledge and agree that the sending of any SMS by the Bank or Arcot and/or its receipt by you may be delayed or prevented by factor(s) outside the Bank’s control.
- Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new features that augment, enhance or otherwise change the Service shall be subject to this T&C.
- The Bank reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice.
- When engaging in an online transaction whereby the Service is required, an OTP will be sent to your mobile phone number via SMS/and or email to your designated email address. You must input the OTP in order to complete the applicable online payment transaction. The Service is only applicable to the Cardholder with a valid mobile phone number and email address registered with the Bank. Registration for the Service is not required. If you are unable to provide your OTP, or if the authentication through the Service otherwise fails, the merchant may not accept your Card in payment for that transaction. You agree that neither the Bank nor Arcot shall be liable in any way for any merchant’s refusal to accept your Card(s) for any payment, regardless of what the reasons may be.
- By using the Service you agree to the use of the Service to evidence your identity and the use of your Card(s) to make payment for transactions authorised using the Service (including for purposes of authorization of transactions authorized in advance to recur at substantially regular intervals).
- By using the Service, you authorize us to obtain from certain third parties selected by us, including consumer credit bureaus and other consumer reporting agencies, information about you, your credit / debit cards, to use in connection with the Service.
- You agree to safeguard the confidentiality of your card number and other verification or personal assurance information established by you with the Service (“Security Data”). You agree not to transfer or sell your use of, or access to the Service to any third party. Save as set out in Section 4(d), if you let any other person use your Security Data or disclose your Security Data to another person, you will be liable for all claims, losses and consequences arising from or in connection with all transactions made using the Service by or with the consent of that person, and all activities that occur using your Security Data.
- If you have contributed to an unauthorised transaction, (for example by keeping a written record of your Security Data, failing to take reasonable steps to prevent disclosure of your Security Data to any other person, failing to take reasonable steps to observe any of your security duties referred to in this T&C, or delay in notifying us of an actual or possible disclosure to any other person of your Security Data) you may be liable for some or all of the losses resulting from the unauthorised transaction.
- You agree to immediately notify the Bank by contacting us as we require in the Card Terms for a lost or stolen card or of any unauthorized use of the verification information, or any other breach of security.
- You are not liable under this T&C for loss caused by:
- fraudulent or negligent conduct by our employees or agents, or parties involved in the provision of the Service;
- faults that occur in our systems, including the systems used to provide the Service, unless the faults are obvious or advised by a notice or message;
- unauthorised transactions occurring before you have established your Security Data; or
- any other transactions where it is clear that you could not have contributed to the loss.
5. YOUR CONDUCT
You agree not to:
- impersonate any person or entity using the Service;
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment used by the Service;
- spam or flood the Bank’s website or the Service;
- modify, adapt, sub-license, translate, sell, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Service (including, without limitation, the website) or the software used in connection with the Service;
- remove any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices contained in the Service;
- "frame" or "mirror" any part of the Service (including, without limitation, the website) without the prior written authorization of both the Bank and Arcot;
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other manual or automatic device or process to retrieve, index, "data mine," or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Service (including, without limitation, the website) or its contents;
- otherwise interfere with, or disrupt, the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or violate this T&C or any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations applicable to the Service or of any networks connected to the Service; or
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international statute, regulation, regulatory guideline or judicial or administrative interpretation, or any rule or requirement established by Arcot (all of which shall constitute "Applicable Law") in connection with your use of the Service.
6. OUR LIABILITY
- Nothing in this T&C shall operate as to exclude or restrict any liability, the exclusion or restriction of which is prohibited by Applicable Law.
- To the maximum extent permitted by Applicable Law:
- Neither the Bank nor Arcot give any warranties or conditions (whether express, implied, statutory or otherwise) in relation to the Service, and both the Bank and Arcot exclude all implied warranties and conditions.
- You agree that neither the Bank nor Arcot shall be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
- You agree and acknowledge that Arcot assumes no responsibility and shall not be liable in anyway whatsoever to you or to any third party for your use of the Service.
- You acknowledge and agree that, except as otherwise in the Credit/Debit Card Terms, the Bank shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this T&C.
- Under no circumstances will Arcot or the Bank be liable for any consequential, incidental, special or indirect losses or for loss of profit, business interruption or loss of business opportunities resulting from your use of the Service regardless of whether such damages arise in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise and regardless of whether we have been advised of, or are aware that such damages have been or may be incurred.
- Due to the nature of the Service, we will not be responsible for any loss of or damage to your data, software and computer, telecommunications or other equipment caused by you using the Service unless such loss or damage is directly and solely caused by our negligence or deliberate default.
- Arcot and the Bank assume no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, any damage to, or any viruses which may affect, your computer equipment or other property on account of your access to, use of or downloading from the Services (including, without limitation, the website).
7. DEALINGS WITH MERCHANTS
- You understand that use of the Service does not, in any way, indicate that we recommend or endorse any merchant, regardless of whether the merchant requires the OTP. For example, the Bank does not verify the identity of the merchant or endorse the quality of the merchant's goods or services.
- The Service can only be used when shopping at participating online merchants.
- If there is any inconsistency between our internal records, and information relating to your Card(s) and related account(s) or your use of the Service, our internal records will prevail in the absence of evidence to the contrary.
8. AGE AND RESPONSIBILITY
- You represent that you are of sufficient legal age to use the Service and to create binding legal obligations for any liability you may incur as a result of the use of the Service. Except as otherwise provided by Applicable Law or in the Credit/Debit Card Terms, you understand that you are financially responsible for all uses of the Service by you and those authorized by you to use your Registration Data, your password or other verification information.
9. PROPERTY RIGHTS
- The Service is protected by copyright and other laws of the United States and other countries. The Bank, Arcot and/or their suppliers retain all right, title, and interest in the Service and all content, information, websites, software, and other materials related thereto.
- Some of the names referenced in the Service are trademarks or registered trademarks. You agree not to use any trademarks referenced or any confusingly similar marks for any purpose without the express prior written consent of the owner of the mark in each instance.
10. We reserve the right to cease providing the Service:
- if the card account is closed
- upon the death or contractual incapacity of the Cardholder;
- in the event of improper operation of the card account by the Cardholder; or
- at its own discretion.
11. We reserve the right to begin charging a fee for such Service by giving 30 days prior notice to the Cardholder.
12. Suspension and Termination
- We reserve the right to at any time suspend the Service without notice where we consider necessary or advisable to do so, for example, to protect you when there is a suspected breach of security, or when we have reasonable grounds to suspect that your registration data is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete or when we may need to suspend the Service for maintenance or other such reasons.
- We may terminate the Service or its use by you, after giving you sufficient notice and / or reason.
Standard Chartered Bank (the “Bank”) is committed to maintaining a culture of the highest ethics and integrity, and in compliance with all applicable law, regulation and internal policy. As part of this commitment, the Bank has a ‘Speaking Up’ programme through which genuine concerns in this regard can be raised. Members of the public can securely raise Speaking Up concerns through this hyperlink, which is hosted on behalf of the Bank by a third party ‘InTouch’. Examples of concerns that can be raised through this website are concerns that relate to accounting, internal accounting controls or auditing matters and concerns relating to bribery or banking and financial crime. Concerns received will be forwarded to the Bank’s investigations team for review. Complaints relating to SCB banking services should not be raised through this site in the first instance, but through the SCB branch network, contact centres, Relationship Managers or the ‘Contact Us’ webpage.