Malaysia's First Bank
Standard Chartered's presence in Malaysia dates back to 1875, when its first branch opened for business at Beach Street, Penang.
The Bank was locally incorporated as Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad on 29 February 1984. As the country's first and oldest bank with almost 140 years of history, Standard Chartered to date employs more than 7,000 employees for its Malaysian operation at over 40 branches nationwide, a global shared service centre Scope International, a subsidiary Price Solutions, an offshore facility in Labuan and head office at Menara Standard Chartered in the heart of Kuala Lumpur.
Standard Chartered Saadiq Berhad, the Bank's Islamic Banking subsidiary - the first and only in the group's network was established in November 2008. Standard Chartered Saadiq offers a comprehensive range of Shariah-compliant solutions through dedicated branches as well as via Islamic banking windows at Standard Chartered branches. In 2012, the Bank established Kuala Lumpur as its global hub for Islamic retail banking.
The Bank provides a comprehensive range of financial products and services to individuals and corporates. It has deepened relationships with corporates by supporting their international expansion in our footprint markets. In recent years, we have established relationships with Public Sector and Sovereign Wealth Fund clients. Our Islamic Banking subsidiary Standard Chartered Saadiq plays a key role in supporting international Islamic financing corridors
Leading the Way
Standard Chartered leads the way through product innovation, consistent and strong growth performance and sustainability initiatives. It provides a comprehensive range of financial products and services including retail, Islamic and Corporate & Institutional banking for individuals, small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as corporates and institutions.
Over the years, Standard Chartered has pioneered many innovations in Malaysia including:
- We were the first international bank to set up an Islamic banking arm (1993) and the first to launch several Islamic products such as the Murabahah program (2005), Profit Rate Swap (IPRS), Cross Currency Swap (ICCS) and Wiqa Forward Rate deal in 2006, Islamic Trade and Supply Chain proposition and TRAIn-I (Total Return Alternative Investments) in 2007 under our Islamic banking brand, Standard Chartered Saadiq.
- We've launched several industry-defining retail banking products including MortgageOne Optimizer, Business$aver Current Account, and the Standard Chartered Visa Infinite credit card.
- We were the first bank to establish a global operations hub in Malaysia. Today, Scope International KL provides support to the group's operations in 70 countries around the world, and houses the country's biggest software development centre.
Awards and Achievements
- The only international bank that won the Top Financial Institution Partner Award (Overall Category) 2016 by Credit Guarantee Corporation Malaysia
- Standard Chartered received the RAM League Awards 2014, Market Pioneer - Lead Manager's Recognition for the World's First RMB Bond by a Mortgage Corporation (Arrangers for Cagamas Global Sukuk Berhad)
- Standard Chartered Saadiq received the RAM League Awards 2014, Market Pioneer - Lead Manager's Recognition for the First RM-Sukuk Issuer (Arrangers for TF Varlik Kiralama AS)
- Global Finance named us the Best Consumer Digital Bank in Malaysia in 2010, 2014 and 2015
- We won the SME Sahabat (Small Medium Enterprises) Award for 10 consecutive years for our significant contribution to promoting and developing SMEs in Malaysia (2005-2014)
- We are the first bank in Malaysia to win the Greentech Financial Institution Award 2013 for Green Capital Funding in recognition of our loan facilities for two solar projects, one of which will be the largest single solar power plant to be implemented in Malaysia
- We are the only international bank to have received the Top SME Supporter Award by Credit Guarantee Corporation Malaysia for four years in a row (2010-2013)
- Standard Chartered received the Award of Distinction 2012 - First RAM rated Foreign Entity from United Arab Emirates (Arrangers for Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank)
- Standard Chartered received the Award of Distinction 2012 - First RAM rated Foreign Entity from State of Kuwait (Arrangers for Gulf Investment Corporation GSC)
- Standard Chartered Saadiq clinched first and third place in the RAM League Lead Manager Award 2012 (Islamic) by Programme Value
- Standard Chartered Saadiq clinched third place in the RAM League Lead Manager Award 2012 (Islamic) by Number of Issues
- Standard Chartered Saadiq received the Award of Distinction 2012 - First RAM-rated Foreign Entity from Hong Kong (Arrangers for Noble Group Limited)
- Standard Chartered Saadiq received the Award of Distinction 2012 - First Foreign Sovereign Wealth Fund (Arrangers for Mumtalakat)
- Standard Chartered Saadiq received the Award of Distinction 2012 - First RAM-rated Foreign Entity from Kingdom of Bahrain (Arrangers for Gulf International Bank BSC)
- For our collaboration with Gulf Investment Corp in issuing MYR1 billion of fixed-rated bonds, we were given the Blueprint Award for Outstanding Deal of The Year at the RAM League Awards 2009
- Standard Chartered Saadiq was named Best International Islamic Bank 2009 by Euromoney
- We won an Industry Recognition Award at the RAM League Awards 2009
- We received Gold recognition for HR Excellence at the Malaysia HR Awards 2008/09, organised by the Malaysian Institute of Human Resources
- The Asian Banker named us Best Regional Retail Business in Asia at their Excellence in Retail Financial Services 2008
- We were given a Brand Laureate Heritage Award for Brand Excellence 2008
- We won top prize for Long-Term Excellence in EU-Malaysian Trade / Investment at the Europa Awards 2009, hosted by The European Union Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Standard Chartered was named the No 1 Top Bookrunner of Malaysian Syndicated Loans in 2007 by IFR Asia
- We were voted the No 2 Top Lead Manager for Conventional Bonds Issue Value 2007 by Malaysian Rating Corporation Berhad
- The Asian Banker also gave us an award for achievement in cash management in 2007
Privacy of Customer Information
We will not collect any personal information about you unless you have chosen to give it to us. Please do not give us personal information if you do not want it collected. We may use information we have collected about you to help improve our customer service, or respond to your queries. We may also store some information on your own hard disk ('a cookie'). This helps us match this site to your preferences. You can choose to accept or delete cookies, however deleting them may mean our website will not work properly. When you speak to us on the phone, some calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.