Customers’ Data Protection and Privacy Statement (“Privacy Statement”)
If you are reading this Privacy Statement on behalf of a body corporate/business enterprise which maintains/maintained contractual relationship with the Bank (as defined below), this Privacy Statement is intended to be addressed to, without limitation, the individual guarantor, obligor, corporate officers (e.g. authorised signatories/dealer and company secretary), directors, shareholders, beneficial owners (e.g. sole proprietor and partners) of the body corporate/business enterprise (the “Relevant Individuals”) and “you” shall be construed accordingly to mean the Relevant Individuals. Please assist to make available this Privacy Statement to the Relevant Individuals in your body corporate/business enterprise.
This Privacy Statement relates to the personal data that Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad or Standard Chartered Saadiq Berhad (the “Bank”/”we”) collects about you in relation to the services or facilities (collectively referred to as “facilities”):
that you have requested or are about to request from the Bank; or
that have been requested or are about to be requested from the Bank by our customer/potential customer, whose obligations and liabilities under the facilities are or are to be secured, guaranteed or undertaken by you/your assets or whom you represent and are authorised to act on behalf of or whom you are associated with.
Protecting your privacy is important to us. It is necessary for you to supply the Bank with personal data in connection with the provision of the facilities. Failure to supply such data may result in the Bank being unable to provide such facilities. This Privacy Statement explains the types of personal data we collect from you and how your personal data will be used and protected.
WHAT PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND THE SOURCE
Personal data that we collect from you includes but is not limited to:
- full name
- identification number
- date of birth
- number of dependents
- contact details (including address, telephone number, e-mail address)
- employment and income details
- financial commitments
- results of credit checks
We may also collect your personal data from other sources, including but not limited to credit bureaus, credit reference agencies, your employers, your guarantors and your joint account holders.
PURPOSES FOR WHICH WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The Bank respects the privacy of your personal data. The purposes for which your personal data is collected and processed will vary depending on the nature of the relationship which you as a data subject have with the Bank. Broadly, they may comprise all or any one or more of the following purposes:
- the processing of your applications for banking facilities;
- the daily operation of the facilities;
- conducting credit checks and assisting other financial institutions to conduct credit checks;
- updating our records about you;
- ensuring your ongoing credit worthiness;
- designing financial services or related products for your use;
- determining the amount of indebtedness owed to or by you;
- enforcing your obligations, including without limitation the collection of amounts outstanding from you and your provision of security for the facilities;
- enabling an actual or potential assignee of the Bank, or participant or sub-participant of the Bank's rights in respect of the data subject, to evaluate the transaction intended to be the subject of the assignment, participation or sub-participation;
- conducting market research and statistical analysis and surveys with the aim of improving our products and services;
- as required by law or regulation;
- for prevention and detection of crime (including, without limitation, money laundering, terrorism and fraud prevention, detection and prosecution);
- to support the Group’s business, financial and risk monitoring, planning and decision making; and
- for all ancillary purposes relating to the provision of facilities including the provision of computer, telecommunications and technology services.
This Privacy Statement will not alter or affect any information otherwise provided by you to the Bank. Details of your personal data may also be obtained from public sources or other sources which the Bank has access to.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA WHEN IT’S TRANSFERRED
When using your personal data for the purposes referred to above, the Bank may need to disclose it to more than one entity within the Group and to our agents, advisors and third party service providers. Your personal data may be transferred to, or stored at, a location outside of Malaysia. Regardless of where your personal data is transferred, we will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The security of your personal data is important to us, so the Bank and all members of the Group are required to comply with the Group Information Security Policies and Procedures, which set out security standards including technical and organisational security measures. We require the same level of security from our external service providers. The personal data we collect from you is stored by us and where applicable by our service providers on secure servers and premises and protected through a combination of physical and electronic access controls, firewall technology and other reasonable security measures.
WITH WHOM WE MAY SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
In providing your telephone, e-mail address, facsimile number or other contact methods, you are agreeing that the Bank may contact you by telephone, e-mail, facsimile or such other method. External bodies (the “Authorised Parties”) to which we may disclose your personal data for purposes specified above are:
- any officer, employee, agent or director of the Bank, Standard Chartered Bank (“SCB”), the holding company of SCB, and any of SCB’s or the Bank’s holding company, subsidiaries, affiliates, representative and branch office in any jurisdiction (the “Group”);
- professional advisers, service providers, insurers/Takaful operator or insurance/Takaful brokers of the Group who are under a duty of confidentiality to the Group;
- any actual or potential participant or sub-participant or assignee, novatee or transferee of the Group’s rights and/or obligations under any transaction between the any Group member and you (or any of its agents or professional advisers);
- any rating agency or direct/indirect provider of credit protection to any member of the Group;
- any party as required by any law or any government, quasi-government, administrative, regulatory/supervisory body or authority, court or tribunal;
- any credit reference agency that the Bank uses for credit assessment or credit review of you and parties related to the facilities provided by the Bank to you; and
- any guarantor or collateral provider for the facilities.
- you have provided personal information to the Bank in your capacity as an authorised representative of the Bank’s customer (which is a corporation, body or entity) (the “Company”); and
- the Company has agreed on an Authorised Parties list which differs from the above list;
then the list of Authorised Parties negotiated and agreed by the Company with the Bank will prevail and apply to you.
The information collected from you by the Bank will be valuable in improving the design and marketing of our range of services and related products for your use. The Bank wishes to assure you that your private information will be treated as confidential and with high standards of security. The use of your information will be kept to the minimum required in order for the Bank to continually monitor and improve its services to our customers and keeping you informed about our products, services and other opportunities within the Bank.
In order to provide you with the best service and inform you about new products that the Bank deems may be suitable to you, the Bank would like to use your contact details (e.g. e-mail address, facsimile, telephone) to provide you with information about our products or services. If you continue to deal or transact with us, you are deemed to have consented to us using your personal data for marketing purposes.
In case you do not wish to be contacted for marketing purposes please let us know by notice in writing at the address stated below.
NOTE: If you are not a customer of the Bank but only a Relevant Individual, your personal data will not be used for marketing purposes and the above will not apply to you.
You have the right to request access to and correction of personal data about you held by us. If you wish to access or request for correction or deletion of any of your personal data held by us, or if you have any questions concerning our Privacy Statement, you may speak to the Bank’s Call Centre Agents or write to the Bank, as per the contact details below. The Bank may charge a fee for access to the information held.
You can also speak to any of the Bank’s Call Centre Agents or write to us for any queries relating to this Privacy Statement or otherwise relating to any use of your personal data by the Bank:
Call Centre Number: 1300 888 888 (Calling from within Malaysia) / +603-7711 8888 (Calling from overseas)
E-mail Address: Malaysia.Feedback@sc.com
UPDATES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
The Bank reserves the right to amend this Privacy Statement at any time and will place notice of any such amendments on the Bank’s website or the Bank’s branches or via such other suitable methods. This Privacy Statement is not intended to, nor does it, create any contractual rights, nor does it create any contractual obligations on the Bank in respect of any other party or on behalf of any party.
COPYRIGHT © STANDARD CHARTERED BANK MALAYSIA BERHAD 2014. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.