The Bank respects the privacy of your personal information. The purposes for which any personal information provided by you to the Bank through this Web Site may be used will vary depending on the nature of the relationship which you as a data subject have with the Bank. Broadly, they may comprise all or any one of more or the following purposes :-
the processing of applications for banking services and facilities;
- the daily operation of the services and facilities provided to its customers;
- conducting credit checks;
- assisting other financial institutions to conduct credit checks and collect debts;
- ensuring ongoing credit worthiness of data subjects;
- designing financial services or related products for customers' use;
- marketing financial services or related products;
- determining the amount of indebtedness owed to or by data subjects;
- the enforcement of data subjects' obligations, including without limitation the collection of amounts outstanding from data subjects and those providing security for data subjects' obligations;
- meeting the requirements to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on the Bank or its head office or any of its branches;
- enabling an actual or potential assignee of the Bank, or participant or sub-participant of the Bank's rights in respect of the data subject, to evaluate the transaction intended to be the subject of the assignment, participation or sub-participation; and
- purposes relating to any of the above purposes.
This Policy will not alter or affect any information otherwise provided by you to the Bank.
The details which you are requested to provide on this Web Site may be transferred within the Standard Chartered Bank Group. This may include transfer to other parts of the Standard Chartered Bank Group in different jurisdictions and by using this Web Site you consent to such transfer. In providing your telephone and facsimile numbers you are agreeing that the Bank may contact you by telephone and facsimile. Other than to those individuals and entities listed below, the Bank will not reveal your details to any external body, unless the Bank either has your permission, or is under a legal obligation or any other duty to do so. The information provided by you at this Web Site may be disclosed by the Bank to the following parties for the purposes set out in the foregoing paragraphs:
- Any agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides administrative, telecommunications, computer, payment or securities clearing or other services to the Bank in connection with the operation of its business;
- Any other person under a duty of confidentiality to the Bank including a group company of Standard Chartered Bank which has undertaken to keep such information confidential;
- The drawee bank providing a copy of a paid cheque (which may contain information about the payee) to the drawer;
- Credit reference agencies and, in the event of default, debt collection agencies;
- Any actual or proposed assignee of the Bank or participant or sub-participant or transferee of the Bank's rights in respect of the data subject.
The Bank wishes to assure you that your personal information will be treated as confidential and with high standards of security. The Bank pledges its intention fully to meet internationally recognised standards of personal data privacy protection and to comply with the requirements of applicable data protection/privacy laws. In doing so, we will ensure compliance by our staff with the strictest standards of security and confidentiality. In addition Standard Chartered Bank Group has implemented a mandatory IT security policy, which is intended to achieve a level of security compliance similar to the relevant elements of British Standard 7799.
However, it is your responsibility at all times to maintain the secrecy of your user ID and login password.
Personal data provided by you are retained for as long as the purposes for which such data were collected continue. Data are then destroyed unless their retention is required to satisfy legal, regulatory or accounting requirements or to protect the Bank's interests. As a general rule the maximum retention period is 7 years.
- allow our web server to determine whether the cookies setting on your web browser has been enabled or disabled so that we will know whether data can be collected from your web browser;
- track your visits to our site and recognise your web browser when you are a repeat visitor so that we can gather statistics on the number of new and repeat visitors and evaluate site effectiveness;
- temporarily store information on your link preferences and your path between pages on our site to give us insight on ways to further improve our site to provide a more useful and enriching site experience;
- store your preference of online services login to avoid your having to re-select that option when you re-visit our site;
- temporarily identify you after you have logged in on a secured page on our site so that our web browser can maintain a dialogue with your web browser in order for you to carry out certain activities; and
- temporarily allow you to carry information across pages on our site to avoid having to re-enter that information, including recording items you add to a shopping cart function for bonus points redemption at www.manhattancard.com .
The Bank may work with third parties to research certain usage and activities on parts of our web site on our behalf. The information collected through technologies are used to find out more about our users, including user demographics and behaviour and usage patterns, for more accurate reporting and to improve the effectiveness of our marketing. Information recorded through the use of these devices are aggregated and then shared with the Bank. No personally identifiable information about you is collected or shared with third parties as a result of this research. The information will be kept no longer than 7 years.
These cookies do not collect or store your name, address or any personal information. Most web browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You may disable the cookies by changing the setting on your web browser. Please note, however, that you may not be able to use certain functionalities or login to secured pages on our site, including our Online Banking site at http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/login/, if cookies are disabled . For more details on enabling or disabling cookies, please refer to your Internet browser software instructions, "Help" screen, or visit a third party website such as http://www.allaboutcookies.org .
You have the right to ascertain the Bank's policies and practices in relation to personal data, to be informed of the kind of personal data held by the Bank and to check whether the Bank holds data about you. You also have the right to request correction of and, on payment of a fee, access to personal information about you held by us. In relation to consumer credit you also have the right to request to be informed which items of data are routinely disclosed to credit reference agencies and, in the event of default, to debt collection agencies, and to be provided with further information to enable the making of an access or correction request to the relevant credit reference agency or debt collection agency. If you wish to access or to ask for correction or deletion of any of your personal data held by us, or if you have any questions concerning our data protection and privacy policies and practices and kinds of personal data held, please contact our Data Protection Officer at:
STANDARD CHARTERED BANK (HONG KONG) LIMITED
GPO Box 21 , Hong Kong
For more information of "Notice to customers and other individuals relating to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance ("Ordinance") and the Code of Practice on Consumer Credit Data" ("Notice"), please click here.
Last Updated: March 2013