Website Privacy Statement
Standard Chartered Bank respects your privacy and we are committed to keeping your personal information and other data confidential and secure.
1. When does this Website Privacy Statement apply?
This Website Privacy Statement explains the approach taken by Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited and the members of the Standard Chartered Group ("SCB", "we" or "us") toward the personal information and data that we collect about you ("Your Information") when you visit this Website, electronically respond to our online advertisements or when you send us communications via any computer, mobile or other similar electronic devices ("Device"). It does not apply to information we collect in other ways (e.g. when you are dealing with our staff in a branch or over the telephone). In these cases or in other specific situations (e.g. when you are applying from us for product or service or otherwise), there may be other privacy statements and terms and conditions that are applicable.
This Website Privacy Statement is limited to information and data collected on this Website, our online advertisements and electronic communications. Our Website Privacy Statement does not apply when you leave our Website, including third-party websites where our online advertisements are displayed or links to third-party websites which we do not operate or control. Please read the privacy statements and terms and conditions of these third-party websites and decide whether they satisfactorily protect your rights.
2. You consent to our use of Your Information and Cookies
3. What information do we collect about you?
Cookies are small data files which are placed on your Device when you visit certain parts of our Website or click on our online advertisements. Cookies and similar technologies are used to identify your Device for the following purposes:-
(i) Strictly necessary cookies. These essential cookies are set throughout our Website and are required for the operation of our Website to:
- allow our web server to determine whether the cookies setting on your web browser has been enabled or disabled. This allows us to know whether data can be collected from your web browser;
- temporarily allow you to carry information between pages of our Website to avoid having to re-enter that information;
- temporarily identify your Device after you have logged in to a secure page on our Website so that our web server can maintain a dialogue with your web browser in order for you to carry out certain activities.
(ii) Analytical/performance cookies. These are used to help us improve our Website by:
- tracking your visits to our Website and recognising your web browser when you are a repeat visitor so that we can gather statistics on new and repeat visitors to evaluate site effectiveness.
(iii) Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Website. This enables us to:
- personalise our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language and region);
- store your login and other preferences so you do not have to re-enter that information when you return to the Website.
(iv) Targeting / advertising cookies. These cookies record your visit to our Website, your response to our online advertisements, track the pages you have visited and the website links you have followed. We use this information to:
- make our Website more relevant to your interests;
- provide online advertisements or offers on our Website or third-party websites which are most likely to interest you;
- evaluate the effectiveness of our online marketing and advertising programs.
The above cookies may be placed on your Device by us or by third parties on our behalf (for example, advertising networks and providers of external services like web traffic analysis services). No personally identifiable information about you is collected or shared with third parties as a result of this research.
Most web browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can choose to 'not accept' cookies by changing the settings on your web browser but if you block all cookies, including strictly necessary cookies, you may find that certain features on our Website will not work properly.
(b) Online Forms
There are sections of the Website where we ask for personal information, for example, when you complete online forms to submit an enquiry, apply for a particular product or service or if you register to use our secure online services such as Online Banking. Please ensure you also read any applicable Terms and Conditions for these products and services as well as our "Notice to customers and other individuals relating to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance ("Ordinance") and the Code of Practice on Consumer Credit Data" ("Notice")
(c) Job Applicants
Personal information provided on our Website in connection with an application for employment will be used to determine your suitability for a position with the SCB and, if applicable, your terms of employment or engagement. Applicant details may be disclosed to third parties, including education institutions, current/previous employers and credit reference agencies, to verify or obtain additional information. Unsuccessful applications may be retained to match your skills to future job opportunities. The purpose and usage of applican's data shall be specified in more detail upon collection.
(d) Electronic Communications
If you contact us via email, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
4. How we use Your Information
We will always treat Your Information as confidential. We will use good practices to keep it secure and will otherwise abide by the relevant data protection and privacy laws.
(a) Using Your Information – Purposes
If you provide Your Information on the Website in relation to any products and services from SCB, or send us an electronic communication, we will use Your Information for the purposes ("Purposes") of providing and operating the product or service you request or responding to your electronic communication and for other related purposes that may include:
- processing your application (including assessing the merits and/or suitability of the application) for the establishment of any banking facilities, products and services;
- operating, maintaining and providing banking facilities, products and services to you;
- conducting credit checks (whether in respect of an application for banking facilities, products and services or during regular or special reviews);
- creating and maintaining our credit scoring models;
- maintaining your credit history for present and future reference;
- assisting other financial institutions to conduct credit checks and collect debts;
- ensuring your ongoing credit worthiness;
- designing banking, cards, financial, insurance, securities and investment services or related products for your use;
- marketing services, products and other subjects as set out in more detail under our "Notice to customers and other individuals relating to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance ("Ordinance") and the Code of Practice on Consumer Credit Data" ("Notice")
- determining the amount of indebtedness owed to or by you;
- enforcement of your obligations, including without limitation the collection of amounts outstanding from you and those providing security for your obligations;
- meeting or complying with any obligations, requirements or arrangements for disclosing and using data that apply to us or any other member of SCB or that it is expected to comply according to:-
- any law or regulation binding on or applying to it within or outside the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region ("Hong Kong") existing currently and in the future;
- any guidelines or guidance given or issued by any legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authorities, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations of financial services providers within or outside Hong Kong existing currently and in the future;
- any present or future contractual or other commitment with local or foreign legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authorities, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations of financial services providers that is assumed by or imposed on us or any member of SCB by reason of its financial, commercial, business or other interests or activities in or related to the jurisdiction of the relevant local or foreign legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authority, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations;
- meeting or complying with any obligations, requirements, policies, procedures, measures or arrangements for sharing data and information within SCB and/or any other use of data and information in accordance with any group-wide programmes for compliance with sanctions or prevention or detection of money laundering, terrorist financing or other unlawful activities;
- enabling an actual or potential assignee of all or any part of the business and/or asset of us or participant or sub-participant of our rights in respect of you, to evaluate the transaction intended to be the subject of the assignment, participation or sub-participation; and/or
- any other purposes relating to the purposes listed above.
Please ensure you also read the Terms and Conditions applicable to these products and services.
We generally do not use Your Information collected on this Website for marketing purposes but if you apply for products and services on the Website, Your Information may be used to inform you about other related products and services of SCB that may be of interest.
If you do not wish to be contacted in this way, you may unsubscribe yourself from receiving further marketing communications by completing the online form here.
(c) Disclosing Your Information
When using Your Information for the Purposes we may need to disclose it to more than one company within the SCB and to our agents, advisors and third party service providers ("Other Parties"). When this happens we will require the Other Parties to handle Your Information using the same level of care that we apply. We will also require them to only use Your Information according to our instructions and directions.
If the Other Parties are overseas Your Information may be sent to another country including countries with weaker privacy and data protection laws than in your country of residence. We will not otherwise disclose Your Information to third parties unless we have your permission or we are under a legal or similar obligation.
This means, by way of example that Your Information may be disclosed to:
- regulators, supervisors, governments or quasi-governmental authorities in countries where we, our agents, advisors or third party service providers have a presence;
- agents, advisors or third party service providers under a duty of confidentiality to the SCB;
- credit reference, debt collection, anti-money laundering and fraud prevention agencies (where necessary for the Purposes).
(d) Retaining Your Information
We will retain Your Information for as long as the Purpose for which we collected it continues. It is then destroyed unless further retention is required to satisfy a legal, regulatory or accounting requirement or to protect our interests.
5. Privacy, security and communications using the Internet
- The Internet is not a secure form of communication and sending and receiving information over the Internet carries with it risks including the risk of access and interference by unauthorised third parties. It is your responsibility to maintain the secrecy of any user ID and login password you hold.
- Information passing over the Internet may be transmitted internationally (even when sender and recipient are located in the same country) via countries with weaker privacy and data protection laws than in your country of residence. As a result, we do not accept responsibility or liability for the confidentiality, security or integrity of Your Information in connection with its transmission over the Internet.
- In order to maintain the security of our systems, protect our staff, record transactions, and, in certain circumstances, to prevent and detect crime or unauthorised activities, we reserve the right to monitor all Internet communications including web and email traffic into and out of our domains.
6. Accessing and updating Your Information and contacting us
If you have questions about our Website Privacy Statement please write to us at:
Data Protection Officer
Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
GPO Box 21, Hong Kong
7. Changes to our Website Privacy Statement
We update our Website Privacy Statement from time to time and ask that you regularly check this Website to make sure you are familiar with the most recent version.
If there is any inconsistency or conflict between the English and the Chinese versions of these Terms and Conditions, the English version shall prevail.
This Website Privacy Statement was last updated on 26 June 2013
Copyright © Standard Chartered Bank 2013. All rights reserved.