The decision to own your own home is one of the most exciting and important decisions that you will ever make. Thanks to our mortgage loan solution this decision is now an easy one. We offer highly competitive mortgage rates in Kenya.
- Our Mortgage Products
- Equity release : This means you can borrow higher loan amounts using your existing property as collateral
- Top up : Access a loan based on the amount you have settled after 24 months
- Balance transfer: Allows you to consolidate your mortgage facilities with us and enjoy the comfort of having one view account.
- Construction Mortgage: If you already own a piece of land we will finance you to build your dream home.
- Who is Eligible for a Mortgage?
- Kenyan citizens, permanent residents and expatriates
- Minimum age 21
- Salaried customers meeting all the specified requirements
- Employees and Directors of reputable companies and well established SMEs who are purchasing a residential property for owner occupation. (Must have demonstrable and verifiable monthly income for the past12 months)
- Professionals and Consultants who earn a regular monthly income and are purchasing a residential property for owner occupation
- Documents Required
- Completed and signed application form
- Certified copies of last 3 pay slips
- Certified letter from employer stating terms of employment
- Certified copy of ID / passport
- Copy of PIN certificate
- Sale agreement
- Documentary evidence of any other income
- Certified copies of bank statements for 12 months (for non-Standard Chartered customers)
- 3 colour passport-sized photos (for non-Standard Chartered customers)
- Copy of title deed
- For a Mortgage Transfer, Mortgage statement for the last 6 months
Requirements may be more or vary for Kenyans residing out of the country
- Benefits of a Standard Chartered Mortgage
Our Home Solution gives you access to competitive rates on your Home Loan. Along with your Home Loan, you also receive a current account and a pre-approved credit card. What's more you enjoy all these additional benefits:
- Choice of currency
We offer KES and USD mortgage facilities.
- High loan amounts
Home buyers can now take up to KES 100 million. This means you will never have to compromise on the house you really want for yourself and your family.
- Longer loan periods
With longer loan tenor periods of up to 25 years, your monthly repayments become more affordable.
- Available to business owners
The loan is now available to business owners to help you meet your goals by providing you with the right options.
- Non-resident Kenyans
Non-resident Kenyans are also eligible. Those working outside the country can buy a property as an investment or as a place to stay when they return home.
All these benefits are now also available to expatriates regardless of how long they have lived in the country.
- Faster processing
Can’t wait for your loan? You no longer have to. If you are topping up or transferring your loan to us, you will get your funds sooner while we take care of the paperwork.
- Holiday Home
We will finance you to purchase your holiday home.
- Choice of currency
- Fees and Charges
- Facility arrangement fee: 1% of loan amount (Minimum KES 10,000)
- Legal costs and stamp duty – varies depending on property value and location
- Fire (property) insurance – comprehensive insurance with the Bank's interest duly noted
- Mortgage protection insurance for the borrower – to safeguard the borrower during the mortgage term
- Valuation fees – upon approval of application, the property should be valued
- What is a mortgage?
A mortgage is a loan advanced to the customer by the bank towards the purchase or construction of a property. The customer provides the bank with his / her property as a security.
- What is a variable interest rate?
A variable interest rate is where the interest rate changes from time to time based on the prevailing economic environment.
- Can I make lump sum payments into my loan account?
Yes. The bank allows you to make lump sum payments into your mortgage loan account. You however need to advise us whether you would like the amount to be applied as a capital repayment.
- What bank charges apply when taking out a personal home loan?
There is an arrangement fee that the customer is expected to pay upon acceptance of the loan. It is 1% of the loan amount (minimum KES 10,000.00).
- What is a mortgage?