Standard Chartered Bank Zambia Plc was the first bank to open in Zambia. Established in 1906, the first branch opened in Kalomo District (Southern Province).
Today, over 114 years later, Standard Chartered Bank remains one of the leading banks in Zambia, with an excellent franchise. The bank has 8 branches in the Copperbelt, Lusaka, and Southern provinces. Standard Chartered has over 60 Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) with some doubling up as Cash Deposit Machines (CDMs). Over 400 people work for the bank.
Standard Chartered is the only international bank in Zambia listed on the Lusaka Stock Exchange (LUSE) and has been ranked the Best Digital Consumer Bank in Zambia for the last 7 consecutive years.
Over the past decade, Standard Chartered Bank Zambia Plc has pursued a clear strategy of focused organic growth and being a market leader in providing innovative, banking products and services to its customers. The bank is in a unique position to leverage its deep-rooted local knowledge, its international network and expertise for the benefit of Zambian corporates, individual depositors and multi-nationals.
Standard Chartered has invested heavily in its digital banking platforms, culminating in the launch of the first-ever digital bank in 2019. Clients can now open a Standard Chartered bank account from their smartphone, from anywhere in Zambia, in just 15 minutes, without the need to visit a physical branch. This has widened access to financial services across the country with a 77 per cent digital adoption rate.
The bank has also invested over USD40m in a new state-of-the-art Head Office building along Addis Ababa Road in Lusaka, which will open in 2020. This is further demonstration that the bank remains firmly committed to Zambia and is Here for good.
Milestones and Achievements
- Named ‘Best Consumer Digital Bank in Zambia’ by Global Finance for 7 consecutive years (2020).
- Launched the first-ever digital bank in Zambia in June 2019.
- First bank to launch the Visa Infinite Credit Card with 360 Rewards in Zambia.
- First bank to launch a Visa Infinite Debit Card in Zambia.
- Bank of the year for Financial Inclusion in Zambia by The Financial Times (FT) Banker Awards (2018)
Standard Chartered Bank Annual Report 2019 – Cover
Standard Chartered Bank Annual Report 2019
- Thought Leadership
- Op-ed Herman - The significance of Conduct in the new normal
- Op-ed Herman Kasekende - The impact of Covid-19 on productivity (1 October 2020)
- Op-ed Deep - How banks can take advantage of Digitization (13 August 2020)
- Op-ed Herman - Where will the jobs of the future be? (7 August 2020)
- Op-ed Herman - Adapting to the New Normal: Are we Future-Fit? (1 July 2020)
- Op-ed Herman - New Normal, New Opportunities(3 June 2020)