Standard Chartered Bank Zambia Plc was the first bank to open in Zambia. Established in 1906, the first branch opened in Kalomo District (Southern Province).
Today, over 112 years later, Standard Chartered Bank remains one of the leading banks in Zambia, with an excellent franchise. The bank has 17 outlets spread across the country, with branches in the Copperbelt, Lusaka, Northern, North Western, Southern and Western provinces. Standard Chartered has over 60 Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) with some doubling up as Cash Deposit Machines (CDMs). Over 600 people work for the bank.
Standard Chartered is the only international bank in Zambia listed on the Lusaka Stock Exchange (LUSE) and has been ranked the most profitable bank in the country for the last three consecutive years.
Over the past decade, Standard Chartered Bank Zambia Plc has pursued a clear strategy of focused organic growth while aiming to be a market leader in providing innovative products and services to its customers. The bank is in a unique position able to leverage its deep-rooted local knowledge, its international network and expertise for the benefit of Zambian corporates, individual depositors and multi-nationals.
Standard Chartered has invested in a new state-of-the-art Head Office building along Addis Ababa Road in Lusaka scheduled to open in 2020. This is further demonstration that the bank is, indeed, Here for good.
Milestones and Achievements
- Most profitable commercial bank in Zambia for three consecutive years.
- Named ‘Best Digital Bank in Zambia’ by Global Finance for five consecutive years.
- First bank to launch the Fingerprint touch log-in ID on SC Mobile – the bank’s pioneering mobile banking App.
- First bank to launch the Visa Infinite Credit Card with 360 Rewards in Zambia.
- First bank to launch a Visa Infinite Debit Card in Zambia.
- Bank of the year for Financial Inclusion in Zambia by The Financial Times (FT) Banker Awards
- Best Digital Bank in Zambia by Global Finance
Standard Chartered Bank Zambia was recognised at the Lusaka Securities Exchange Corporate Governance Awards:
- Overall Corporate Award 2017
- Best Leadership Award – conferred upon the Standard Chartered Bank Zambia CEO
- Overall Exceptional Adherence to Corporate Governance Award
- Excellence in Business Performance Award (for Retail Banking)
Stanchart Annual Report 2017 Cover
Stanchart Annual Report 2016