Frequently asked questions on the different ways to bank
- What are the requirements of opening a personal account with your bank?
The requirements are:
- identity card or passport (copy and original)
- minimum opening balance
- utility bill / lease agreement / rent receipt in your name for the purposes of verifying physical address
- one recent coloured passport size photograph
- if on employment an introduction letter from your employer and if unemployed letters from two referees who bank with us
About the Service
- What is Online Banking?
Online Banking is a simple, hassle-free and secure internet banking service available to all Standard Chartered Bank customers in Kenya.
- Who can apply for this service?
If you hold any (or a combination) of the following products from Standard Chartered, you can register for the service for free:
- Savings Account
- Current Account
- Credit Card
The service is offered for individuals account holders only.
- Why should I use Online Banking?
- It's so easy to register. And, it's FREE!
- It's your own bank. You have instant access to real time information on your banking, credit card and loan accounts. This apart, you can access information on our full range of products and services at the click of a mouse. Rest assured it is personalised to meet your requirements.
- It's safe & easy. Using your internet banking ID (ID) and internet banking Password, you can now bank with confidence knowing that your transactions remain safe. With our simple and intuitive navigational toolbars and buttons, you will realise how easy it is to browse the site.
- It's fast. It takes only a few minutes to get updated account information and complete a banking transaction – giving you more time to do other things.
- It's convenient. You can perform secure electronic banking right from the comfort of your home or office through the internet.
- It's open 24 hours. With Online Banking, you can access your accounts day and night – no need to wait for your monthly account statements or limit your banking to branch timings. You can even access it on bank holidays in effect 365 days a year.
- It's worldwide access. As long as you can access the Internet, you can access your Standard Chartered accounts, anywhere in the world.
- No special software required. You don't need to purchase any special software. As long as you have a personal computer (PC) with the minimum configuration, you are ready to start. Please check the minimum browser requirement.
- Wide range of service. Our wide range of on-line banking services will help you to better manage your finance. Moreover, we will progressively add more new services for your convenience.
- How can I register for Online Banking?
- If you have an account (e.g. Current account or Savings account), you can register for Online Banking instantly using your registered mobile number and your ATM / Debit Card number and ATM PIN.
- If you ONLY have a Credit Card (and no other products), you can register for Online Banking instantly using your Credit Card number and Credit Card PIN.
- What steps do I follow these steps to register for Online Banking?
- Click on "Instant Registration"
- Read carefully the Terms and Conditions and click "Accept" in agreement
- Select your preferred registration mode – Debit Card number / Credit Card number
- Enter Debit card / Credit Card PIN and Expiry date
- Click "Next" to verify your mobile number registered with bank and confirm
- Enter the temporary password which will be sent to your mobile number
- Set your Username and Password and click "Confirm"
- You have successfully registered for Online Banking!
If you are a Joint Account Holder you must register to Online Banking by giving a written request at the branch. You will then receive a temporary ID via email and a temporary password via SMS. These credentials should be used when logging in for the first time. You will then be able to choose your permanent username and password.
- What should I do if I have forgotten my password?
If you forgot your password, you can reset it online using your ATM / Debit Card number and PIN.
- Do I have to pay for using this service?
There is no extra charge for using this service. However, normal product fees and charges continue to apply.
- Is this service available 24-hours?
Yes. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Can I access the service from overseas?
Yes. As long as you are able to access the Internet with the recommended internet browser, you will be able to access the service.
- How Secure it?
We have adopted comprehensive security measures to safeguard your use of Online Banking.
Customer Authentication with Login ID and Password – You must enter the unique Login ID and Password to access Online Banking. All information transmitted through the Internet, including your Login ID, Password, your account information and your transaction details, from the moment you log in to the time you log out, are protected by strong end-to-end 128 bit SSL encryption; i.e. from your PC browser to the Bank's system.
2-Factor Authentication for transactions – All financial transactions and personal updates on Online Banking require a 2-factor authentication process. This means that in addition to your usual login credentials, we will send a temporary one-time SMS pass code to your registered mobile number in order for you to complete the transaction. This process ensures that only you, as the account holder, will be authorised to carry out transactions on your account.
Automatic Logout – To prevent unauthorized access at your PC while it is unattended, we have implemented a time-out feature. Your login session of Online Banking will be terminated if the browser is left idle for a while.
Last Login Date and Time are indicated – Your last login date and time are provided in your first screen for your verification. The system does not allow simultaneous or multiple log in. The Bank always considers security to be of utmost importance. We have adopted very high standards and tight controls in managing our computer systems and networks.
- What is encryption and how is it used to protect my information?
Encryption is a method of scrambling your information to protect its transmission across the Internet. Encryption transforms data into an unreadable form, and decryption reverses that process. Both encryption and decryption require the use of a special code, usually referred to as a key. The encryption of data provides a strong degree of protection against tampering while data is moving through the Internet.
- What are cookies and how are they used for this service?
- What precautions should I take for this online service?
Besides maintaining the confidentiality of your internet banking ID and internet banking password, you should take the following precautions:
- DO NOT reveal your ID and password to anyone, write down or use it where someone else can see.
- Change your password IMMEDIATELY, using the 'Change of Password' service, if you suspect it has been revealed.
- DO NOT use easily recognised numbers such as your telephone number etc. as your password.
- REMEMBER TO LOG OUT of the system and close your browser whenever you leave your computer, even for a short while.
- Clear your browser's cache on a regular basis so that your account information is removed. This is particularly important if you are using a shared PC. You should clear it after each session.
- Always use the latest recommended internet browser so that you are using the most updated security features available.
- Call our phone banking immediately if you notice any unusual transactions on your account.
Online Banking is and easy and convenient way to manage your money, the service is also a target for IT FRAUDSTERS through various avenues. Be aware of some of the common Online Banking FRAUDSTER scams:
Phishing: is the name given to emails that claim to be from your bank or other organizations but are actually sent to you by fraudsters to try and obtain your security details. Standard Chartered Bank will at no point request for your security access details over email.
Spyware: is a type of computer virus that can be installed on your computer without your knowledge. It is capable of monitoring your PC activity, enabling fraudsters to capture your passwords and other personal information. To make sure you don't become a victim of spyware; make sure you have up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware software installed.
- Security Tips
- To ensure that you are visiting the legitimate Standard Chartered Bank Kenya website, always go to the browser, type in www.standardchartered.co.ke and then click on Online Banking to login.
- Whether by email or other form of telecommunication, representatives of Standard Chartered Bank would not ask you to provide your Online Banking identifiers: user names (user id), password and/or PIN.
- Any request that seeks this information is not from Standard Chartered Bank and should be reported to the proper authorities.
- If you encounter a suspicious email or website that says it is from Standard Chartered Bank Kenya, do not respond to it or click on any links.
- What should I do if I suspect there are unauthorized transactions on my account?
If you suspect there are unauthorized transactions on your account, please report to our Contact Centre. Please provide details such as your name, account number, transaction type, date & time of transaction, description of error and amount involved.
If you suspect they are due to lost / stolen password, please call our phone banking to terminate the password immediately. You may want to take note of your last log-in date and time, as indicated at the Personal Homepage, each time you log-in to the service.
- What precautions should I take when using shared / public PCs for this service?
We strongly recommend you not to conduct your Internet banking transactions on such PCs unless you are sure that it is safe to do so. Please clear browser cache after each session so that your account information is removed from such PCs.
- How do I safeguard and protect my password?
- Do not choose a password that is easily identifiable such as your personal telephone number, birthday or other personal information etc.
- Avoid using sequential numbers (such as 123456) or same number more than twice (such as 123226) for your password.
- Your password must be kept confidential at all times and not be divulged to anyone. Do not reveal your password to anyone.
- Your password must be memorised and not be recorded anywhere. Do not write down your password or use it where someone can see.
- Change your password immediately if you suspect it has been revealed.
- Change your password regularly. Log into online banking and change your password under 'Personal Details'.
- What is Second Factor Authentication (2FA)?
Second Factor Authentication (2FA) is an additional layer of security used by the bank to verify customer's online identity. With 2FA, Standard Chartered Internet banking customers will be required to provide a unique Additional eTAC to perform certain online transactions.
The eTAC will be sent to your mobile phone number as registered with the bank.
This is in addition to the existing Internet banking Username and Password and in line with the recommendations to adopt two-factor authentication (2FA) for better online banking security. The following transactions will be covered under the purview of 2FA and therefore call backs will not be required;
- Addition of payee – both within SCB as well as Inter bank
- Addition of Telegraphic transfer payee
- Addition of new Biller
- Personal Information change request – email address, mobile number etc
- Address change request – Mailing address as well as non-mailing address.
Application for the Service
- Who can apply for this service?
To use this service, you must have at least a transactional account with Standard Chartered Bank, Kenya.
- How do I apply for this service?
You can self- register for this service in less than 3 minutes on our online banking web page with no documentation required. All you need is your ATM debit card number.
- What is my ID and password for log-in?
They are unique secret words / characters to each user to ensure confidentiality. You need both of them to log-in.
- Can I use my ATM PIN to log in? Or use my Phone Banking PIN.
No, your internet banking ID and password are unique to this service.
- What happens when my user ID is invalid / What should I do if I have forgotten my user ID / password?
Visit our online banking portal and click on 'forgot username / password'. It will give you an opportunity to change your password and / or your user ID.
- Can I change my password?
Yes, you can. Visit our online banking portal, log in and click on Personal details to change your password.
- What should I do if I suspect that my password has been stolen or exposed to others?
If you suspect that your password has been stolen or exposed to others, please change your password immediately. Visit our online banking portal, log in and click on Personal details and change your password.
- Can I see a summary of my accounts?
Yes. You can see a summary of your account profile at the Personal Homepage once you have logged in to Online Banking.
- Can I view the transactions belonging to all my accounts?
Yes, you can view the transactions belonging to all your accounts under the Account Services Account information section.
- How far back can I view my transaction history?
You can view your transactional history up to one year for your accounts.
- Can I download and save my account information and latest transactions?
Yes. You can select your latest transaction or historical transactions for a period up to one year from the current date and click on the download button to save the information for your tracking.
- What is the use of the Mail Box in the Personal Homepage?
The Mail Box is a feature in our Online Banking that allows you to view any messages that the Bank has sent to you.
- Can I use the Mail Box to send email to my friend?
No. The Mail Box is only for communication between you and Standard Chartered Bank. For security reasons, we do not accept any instruction relating to financial transactions through the Mail Box.
- Can I delete messages from the Mail Box?
Yes. You can delete the messages from the Mail Box. The deleted messages will be put into the Trash Box where our system will automatically clear the Trash Box on a regular basis.
- How long do messages remain in the Mail Box?
All read messages will be deleted automatically on weekly intervals.
- What kind of funds transfer can I do in this service?
You can transfer funds between your own Standard Chartered accounts and to other pre-registered / pre-nominated beneficiary accounts within Standard Chartered and to other banks. You need to nominate/ pre-register the beneficiary.
You have to log on to Online Banking to register any 3rd Party accounts for funds transfer.
- Do I need to pre-register / nominate my accounts before I can use the funds transfer facility?
Yes, you will need to pre-register / nominate the beneficiary accounts through online banking before you can make a funds transfer.
- How do I pre-register my beneficiary / 3rd party Standard Chartered accounts and other bank's accounts?
You will have to log on to Online Banking to pre-register / nominate any beneficiary accounts.
- How long do I need to I have to wait after I have pre-registered the accounts before I can transfer my funds?
Once you complete the process of pre-registering / nominating the beneficiary account, you may proceed to transfer funds.
- When will the funds be available in the receiving account after I do an immediate fund transfer to accounts within Standard Chartered Bank, Kenya?
Fund transfers to other Standard Chartered Bank accounts within Kenya will take effect right after the transaction.
- Is there a maximum limit on the amount of funds I can transfer?
You can transfer up to KES 25,000,000 (Twenty Five Million only) between your own accounts and KES 5,000,000 (Five Million Only) to third party nominated beneficiaries daily.
- Can I add a Beneficiary Online?
Yes, click on Maintain Beneficiary under Funds Transfer and select Add Beneficiary.
- What hardware and software do I need for using this service?
Minimum Hardware Requirement
- PC with Pentium 166MHz processor or higher
- 32 MB RAM or higher
- SVGA or higher resolution monitor, 256 colors minimum, 800 x 600 screen resolution
- Modem of 56kbps or higher
Minimum Software Requirement
- Microsoft Windows 98 / XP / 2000 / Win7 / Win8 operating system
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 4.01 with Service Pack 2 or above*
- Netscape Communicator Version 4.6 or above* (Note: Currently Netscape 6.x and 7.x is not supported)
- Both "Java" and "Java Script" have to be enabled
- Please ensure the Microsoft Virtual Machine is the default for your browser.
* To make use of the 128-bit SSL encryption and enjoy the highest level of security, we strongly recommend that you upgrade your browser to Internet Explorer version 5.01 and above or Netscape Communicator 4.7 and above (Note: Currently Netscape 6.x and 7.x is not supported), Mozilla version 1.7.7 or Mozilla Firefox version 1.0.4.
- What browsers can I use to access online banking?
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Netscape Communicator
- How do I know the version of the browser that I'm using?
If you are using any of the following browser:
Netscape Communicator Internet Explorer Click on [Help]
Click on [About Communicator…]
Click on [Help]
Click on [About Internet Explorer]
Click on [OK]
Mozilla Mozilla Firefox Click on [Help]
Click on [About Mozilla]
Click on [Help]
Click on [About Mozilla Firefox]
Click on [OK]
- What should I do if I use a browser whose version is older than the recommended one?
You need to install the required browser before you access our Online Banking service. You may find more information on this at the following public websites:
- What display setting should I use for this service?
Our web site is optimised for view with screen resolution of 1024 x 768.
- I'm a Macintosh user, will I be able to access this service?
You can now enjoy a new experience with the same convenience by logging-on to Standard Chartered Online via Safari browser on a Macintosh.
- What can I do if my Internet Explorer frequently hangs?
You can remove unnecessarily add-ons and/or perform the virus scan in your PC to ensure it is free from virus attack.
- What should I do if I am not able to perform any financial transaction?
Ensure that you are using one of the recommended browsers. If you have encountered problems logging, please call our Customer Contact Centre on +254 (20) 329 3900.
- What should I do if I do not get a response after clicking on a hyperlink or icon?
Sometimes, the Internet becomes unavoidably slow to respond. If there is a delay in response from when you have clicked something, please wait. Avoid clicking repeatedly on a particular link. DO NOT CLICK "REFRESH" OR "RELOAD" BUTTON AS THIS WILL TERMINATE YOUR ONLINE SESSION AND YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE YOU CAN LOG IN AGAIN.
- Who can I call if I have any problem or enquiry in using this service?
Please call our Contact Centre. Kindly get note of the error code or message if any, to the customer service officer for investigation.
- Why should I register for Mobile Banking?
Mobile Banking is a fast, easy, convenient and secure way of accessing your bank 24 hours a day 7 days a week from wherever you are. It allows you to carry out menu driven transactions without having to remember any key words and downloading any applications on your handset.
To register for mobile banking, visit any of our branches near you. Once you are registered, you will receive a SMS notification with your 6 Digit One Time Pin. Dial *722# and change your One Time Pin to your 6 Digit Pin, which you will use to access Mobile Banking services.
- What is Mobile Banking? What transactions can I perform using this?
Mobile Banking is a fast, easy, convenient and secure way of accessing your bank wherever you are.
You can use our Mobile Banking service 24/7 for any of these functions:
- Send Money (MPESA or Airtel) / Transfer funds to a nominated SCB account
- Buy Airtime
- Select Product (Apply for credit card or top-up your personal loan)
- Make Payments (KPLC / DSTV)
- Manage your account (Check your balance, view mini-statements)
- How do I register for Mobile Banking?
Customers can register by walking into any Standard Chartered Bank Branch and filling in the e-registration form.
- What are the eligibility criteria for using Mobile Banking?
Mobile Internet Banking is available for all our customers. You need to be a subscriber of a cellular service provider that the Bank has a tie up with (currently the service is only available on Safaricom & Airtel). You will need a normal GSM mobile phone and your Mobile Banking number.
- How different is it from other technologies used like SMS, GPRS and application based services?
USSD Mobile Banking is different as:
- It provides an interactive browsing experience
- It is available on all GSM handsets
- It has an in built USSD encryption and "no store just forward" facility for performing secure transactions
- You do not need to remember any transaction message formats
- It works on roaming at no extra cost (no additional operator cost)
- Faster service, as network latency is low
- Will I be able to transfer funds even if I do not register the beneficiary account?
You will have to nominate the beneficiary account before you are able to transfer the funds.
- What are the limits for the various transactions performed using Mobile Banking?
- There are no limits on bill payments.
- Funds transfers limits are USD 2,500 per transaction and USD 3,000 per day.
- How do I transfer money to other bank accounts?
Currently, customers can only transfer funds between Standard Chartered own / nominated accounts.
- I'm not sure about the beneficiary's Standard Chartered a/c number, although I know his/her mobile number. Can I still transfer funds to the beneficiary's a/c?
You can register the beneficiary yourself through Online Banking. You will need the beneficiary's account number to transfer funds.
- What is the bill payment service?
Bill payment is a new service that provides you with a single point of contact for most of your recurring bill payment needs. Using this service, you can pay your bills in a secure and convenient manner. In addition, you will continue to receive physical bills from your billers as before.
- What are the benefits of the bill payment service?
Complete flexibility and control in making payments.
- What are the types of bills that can be paid by the bill payment service?
You can pay bills for the following services:
- Electricity (KPLC)
- Multichoice DSTV
- How much does the bill payment service cost?
There is no charge for bill payment services until 30th November 2013.
- Do I have to specifically register for the bill payment facility?
Yes, all customers of Mobile Banking will be required to register their utility bill in order to access the bill payment facility.
No registration is required for DSTV.
- Will I still get my physical paper bill from the biller?
Yes, all billers will continue to send you your paper bill even after you register for the bill payment service.
- How long will it take to register the application and activate the billers that I register?
The time required to activate the biller for your account will not exceed 24hrs.
- What happens when I have a dispute with the biller or disagree with the charges on a specific bill?
If you have an issue with the biller or the charges on a specific bill, you will need to call the Contact Centre on 254 20 329 3900. We will assist you in this process by providing you with payment and bill payments from our archives.
Air-Time Top Up
- What can I do with mobile top-up?
- Recharge your prepaid mobile from wherever you are, with the top-up value of your choice
- You can also top up airtime for another mobile number
Request Cheque Book
- Which cheque book that you will receive for the request sent via Mobile Banking?
A 30 leaf cheque book will be sent across to you in about 72 working hours of receiving the request.
- What is the statement that I will receive for the request given via Mobile Banking?
The customer will indicate how far back they would like their statement. Statement will be available in two working days of receiving the request and can be picked from their domicile branch.
Charges Related Queries?
- Are there any charges for the registration for Mobile Banking?
Mobile Banking registration and Mobile Banking transactions are free except for MPESA and bill payments requests.
PIN Related Queries
- What do I do if I forget my PIN?
Please call our 24 hour customer care centre +254 (20) 3293900 and they will RESET your PIN. take your request for a new PIN. Your new PIN will be sent to you via SMS. You have the option of changing your PIN once you log in using the new PIN.
- Why am I logged off from the session every time I key in some message?
Select the appropriate option from the menu and follow the instructions displayed on the handset. Refer to the user manual for a detailed guide.
Access Related Queries
- Why are all my accounts not displayed on my handset?
The only accounts displayed on Mobile Banking are the accounts that are linked to your relationship number.
- What should I do in case my handset gets stolen?
There is no danger as the USSD is not stored on your phone or in the SIM; rather it is accessed via the Mobile Banking server. However, call our customer Contact Centre and inform them of the loss.
- Why do I receive error messages when I try to log in?
You need to register for Mobile Banking and should have a valid PIN.
Mobile Handset / Operator / SIM
- Will my mobile operator charge me for airtime usage?
There is a ksh5/- USSD charge, each time you dial *722# to access mobile banking".
- How secure are the transactions carried on my mobile phone?
Unlike an SMS-based service, there is no storage of data on your handset. Also the transactions are limited to a single registered mobile number. When you sign up for Mobile Banking, you create a unique PIN that ensures only you can access the accounts. Plus, our powerful firewalls, encryption technology, and timed log-offs help ensure your privacy.
- Account Inquiry
- Balance Inquiry
- View last 3 transactions
- Bill Payments
Pay your KPLC and DSTV bills.
- How much will I be charged to use the Mobile Banking service?
Until 30th November 2013, all mobile banking transactions are free EXCEPT MPESA.
- After how long will I receive my PIN?
Upon successful registration, you should receive your PIN within 2 business days.
- Can I use more than one number to access my Mobile Banking service?
No, you can only use the one number that you designated as your preferred Mobile Banking number.
- Which utility companies will I be able to pay my bills using the Mobile Banking service?
You will be able to pay bills to the following Companies:
In addition to the above, you will be able to purchase Safaricom pre-paid airtime.
- What will I receive when I pay my bills?
Upon successful payment of your bills, you will receive a reference number. You should keep this reference number safe, as it is the proof that you actually paid your bill.
- Is there a dispute resolution process in place in case my bills are not credited to my utility accounts?
Yes. We have a robust resolution process in place. If you paid your bill yet your bill account was not credited, then kindly do the following:
- Call our Customer Contact Centre on +254-20-329-3900 / 0722 203666 / 0732 143900
- Inform the Contact Centre agent about the issue at hand (be sure to provide the Contact Centre agent with the bill reference number)
- The Contact centre agent will escalate the matter and you will receive a call from a bank official.
We will then use our internal processes to follow up and ensure that the issue is resolved.
- How much will I be charged to use the bill pay service?
Bill pay service is FREE.
- What is my customer number?
Your relationship number is made up of 6 numbers that are automatically assigned to you when you open an account with us. If you open all your accounts at one branch, then you will have the same customer number for all your accounts. For example, if your account number is 0101912345600, your customer number would be 123456.
- Can I nominate accounts with the same customer number for funds transfer?
No. You do not need to nominate accounts that fall within your relationship number. They will automatically appear as your 'self accounts'. If you however have an account(s) with a different relationship number(s) from your Mobile Banking designated 'default' account, then you will need to nominate them for the funds transfer service.
- How many accounts can I nominate for funds transfer?
There is no limit to the number of accounts that you may wish to nominate for the funds transfer service.
- Can I transfer funds from my nominated account(s) to my default account?
No, you can only transfer funds into the nominated account(s) and not out of the nominated account(s).
- Can I transfer funds from my 'self accounts' into another 'self account' or to my default account?
Yes, you can transfer funds from yourself accounts into your default accounts. This is because the accounts all share the same 'relationship number'. For example, you can transfer money from a savings account 0151512345600 into a current (default) account 0101912345600.
Note: This will work as long as the 'self account' does not have any restrictions on the number of debits that can be made per quarter.
- Is there a limit on the amount of money that I can transfer?
No. You can make as many transfers as you like.
- Can I transfer money between two different currency denominated accounts?
Mobile Banking is only available for local currency accounts.
- How much will I pay to transfer funds?
This service is FREE.
- Is there a way I can be confirming my balance other than though the ATM?
Yes, we have a contact centre where you can confirm details to do with your account. You can call the numbers 020-3293900 / 0722203666 / 0733335511.
- Does the contact centre operate for 24 hours?
Yes, we operate 24 hours.
- If in case I lost my ATM card, what should I do?
Once you realize that your debit card is missing it is wise to stop the card immediately. The numbers that you can call are for the contact centre which is 0203293900 / 0722203666 / 0733335511 / 2224477.