Standard Chartered Bank Uganda Limited is an international Bank with a rich history spanning over 106 years of existence in the Ugandan market, having opened its doors on 12th August 1912, making it the longest established commercial bank in the country.
It currently has a total of 8 branches in Kampala and Jinja, 32 ATMs, 2 digital banking outlets located at Shell Ntinda and Shell Kaazi, 5 Cash Deposit Machines and a staff complement of over 530.
Our purpose as Standard Chartered Bank Uganda is “Driving commerce and prosperity
through our unique diversity”.
Our brand promise, Here for good, captures the essence of who we are. It is about standing by our clients and demonstrating our involvement in local communities across Asia, Africa, the Middle East and around the world, and captures the changing sentiments of the future.
We have 3 business segments that offer core services and products;
Our aspiration is to be the main digital Bank for our clients. We focus on integrating our clients' needs in everything we do by raising the bar on client experience, providing convenient and reliable channels as well as cutting edge products and solutions for our Personal Banking, Priority and International Banking, Employee Banking and Business Banking clients.
We offer our clients unique and differentiated product offerings that include working capital lines and trade solutions, cash management solutions plus a range of foreign exchange (FX) products. We service the banking needs of our Medium Enterprises and Local Corporate clients by focusing on the key growth sectors in the economy.
Global Banking offers our corporate clients a wide range of differentiated product and services such as trade, cash, lending, FX business and renmibi services among others. We give investment support to key sectors in the economy like oil and gas, infrastructure and energy. We are a reliable partner for Government to provide beneficial solutions and establish ourselves as the main financing partner in the public sector.
- We were recognised as the first bank in Uganda having started operations in 1912 and acted as the regulator.
- We were the first bank in Uganda to introduce the ATM system, VISA connectivity via our ATM network and to introduce the VISA Electron debit card.
- We were the first bank to be licensed to trade government securities as a primary dealer in Africa.
- We were the first bank to introduce service guarantee on turnaround time for our personal instalment loan products.
- We were the first bank to introduce 7 Days Banking at our Garden City branch. This has provided convenience and flexibility to our customers.
- Standard Chartered Bank Uganda was the first bank to offer interest and foreign exchange derivative products in Uganda in 2002. We are also very active and the market leader in the secondary securities market.
According to an independent study on the social and economic impact of our operations in Uganda, Standard Chartered has added value to the economy, supported trade and employment as indicated below;
- Supported $896 million in value-added impact in Uganda (3.5% of GDP)
- Supported 491,000 Ugandan jobs (nearly 3.5% of all employed Ugandans)
- Best Online Banking - 2018 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Cybersecurity Excellence for Digital Channels – 2018 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Commended Innovation Advancing Digital Customer Experience - 2018 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Online Banking - 2017 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Cybersecurity Practice - 2017 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Corporate Bank in Uganda and East Africa 2016 - The Banker Africa
- Best Consumer Digital Bank 2016 – Global Finance Magazine
- Best Digital Bank for Africa – 2016 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Cybersecurity Practice by Corporate - 2016 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Online Banking - 2016 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Recognition for Business Champion for young children 2015 – Private Sector
- Best Corporate Website, 2015 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Cybersecurity Practice, 2015 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Online Banking service, 2015 Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best Consumer Digital Bank 2015 - Global Finance Magazine
- Recognition for outstanding partnership to ending HIV and AIDS through membership subscription and local resource contribution by The AIDS Support Organisation (TASO) in September 2014
- Best Cybersecurity Practice 2014 - Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best in Corporate Social Responsibility 2014 - Tumaini Awards
- CSR in Health Initiative of the year 2014 – Public Health Awards
- Bank of the Year” 2012 in Uganda – Financial Times - The Banker - Bank of the Year
- Euromoney Best Bank in Uganda 2009 & 2010
- EMEA Finance Best Bank in Uganda 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Federation of Uganda Employers Best Employer Silver Award in the Overall Category 2013
- Best Bank in Quality Standards by the Uganda National Bureau of Standards 2013
- Best in Corporate Social Responsibility 2013 – Health (Seeing is Believing – the fight against preventable blindness) by The Uganda Chapter on Corporate Social
- Tumaini (Children Support) Best Corporate Award 2013
- Public Opinions Uganda Responsible Investment Best Bank 2013