Standard Chartered in Uganda
Standard Chartered Bank Uganda Limited is the oldest bank in Uganda having opened doors in August 1912. We had 11 branches up to 1972 and retained only one branch during the turbulence of the 70s. In 1998 we acquired 4 branches of former Cooperative Bank in November 1999. Standard Chartered Bank Uganda today has a network of 11 branches in Kampala, Jinja, Mbale, Mbarara and Gulu. Standard Chartered Bank Uganda has 29 ATMs and over 600 staff.
Our mission is; "To be the best International Bank in Uganda, leading the way in the financial services sector."
Our strategic aspiration is; "We Bank the people and companies driving trade, investment and wealth creation in Africa, Asia and the Middle East."
Standard Chartered Bank Uganda has been at the forefront of innovation in products and services to ensure that we meet our customer's needs. Some of the first introduced to the market include:
- First to introduce the ATM system
- First to provide a VISA connectivity via our ATM network
- First to introduce the VISA Electron debit card
- First to introduce toll free Phone Banking
- First to offer derivative products in Uganda
- First bank licensed to trade government securities as a primary dealer in Africa
- First to introduce all week everyday banking with the opening of the Garden City Branch and Kikuubo Branch.
- The launching of the 7 Days banking which is a first in Uganda and the Home of Loans at Garden City. This has provided convenience and flexibility to our customers.
- The launching of Straight2Bank as a new product which is one of the most sophisticated in the market. This is an internet Banking channel that enables customers to view their accounts as well as effect payments within Standard Chartered Bank and to other banks as well as across borders.
- Best Cyber security Practice 2014 – Digital Impact Awards Africa
- Best in Corporate Social Responsibility 2014 – Tumaini Awards
- CSR in Health Initiative of the year 2014 – Public Health Awards
- Employer of the Year Award 2013 (Silver Award) – The Federation of Uganda Employers (FUE)
- EMEA Finance Best Bank in Uganda 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Federation of Uganda Employers Silver Award in the Overall Category 2013
- Best Consumer Internet Bank by Global Finance in Channel category 2013
- Best Bank in Quality Standards by the Uganda National Bureau of Standards 2013
- Best in Corporate Social Responsibility 2013 – Health (Seeing is Believing – the fight against preventable blindness) by The Uganda Chapter on Corporate Social Responsibility
- Tumaini (Children Support) Best Corporate Award 2013
- Public Opinions Uganda Responsible Investment Best Bank 2013
- Consumer Insights; Best Bank in customer service 2009
- Uganda Responsible Investment award for Best Bank 2012
- ACCA Approved Employer – Trainee Development, Gold Level 2012
- ACCA Approved Employer – Professional Development 2012
- "Bank of the Year" 2012 in Uganda – FT-The Banker Bank of the Year Awards
- Euromoney Best Bank in Uganda 2009 and 2010
- Federation of Uganda Employers Best Employer Bronze Award in the overall category
- Top Bank of the Year Embracing ICT 2009 (Uganda ICT Forum)
- Federation of Uganda Employers Employer of the Year Award Best in Training and Development 2008
- Federation of Uganda Employers Employer of the Year Award Best in Human Resource Development and Training 2005
- Federation of Uganda Employers Employer of the Year Award Best Corporate Social Responsibility and Business Ethics 2004
- Federation of Uganda Employers Employer of the Year Involvement in Community Activities 2003