Around 39 million people in the world today are blind, most of them living in the developing world. Yet, in eight out of ten cases, blindness can be prevented or treated with proven, cost effective interventions.
How we're helping
Through Seeing is Believing (SiB), we’ve partnered with the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) and leading international eye-care non-governmental organisations to improve access to eye-care across our markets.
We are commited to raising USD100 million for SiB between 2003 and 2020, with the bank matching every dollar. As of the end of 2014, through fundraising and bank matching, we've raised USD79.4 million.
- Reached more than 65.8 million people
- Provided over 3.4 million cataract operations and surgical interventions
- Distributed nearly 712,000 pairs of spectacles and other low vision devices
- Trained over 161,000 health workers
- Provided health education to over 34.2 million people
- Screened more than 12.3 million patients.
Visit www.sib.org to find out more.
You can set up a fundraising page for Seeing is Believing in minutes, to help to fight avoidable blindness.
We contribute much more than profits. Through our business, we can be a force for good.
Restoring sight in Dhaka
Like almost 30% of people living in the slums of Dhaka, Jainab and Abal can't afford eye-care.