Careers in China
Standard Chartered is an active participator, contributor and beneficiary of China’s reform and opening-up
Our commitment to our employees
A promising future
The Belt and Road Initiative, Renminbi, Greater Bay Area, Yangtze River Delta, Capital Markets, Cross Border Trade, Sustainable Finance and Wealth Management, all offer the Bank significant opportunities in both domestic and international markets.
Drawing upon our global footprint and local knowledge, we are well positioned to facilitate trade and investment flows for our clients, including opportunities arising from the opening up of China’s economy, the global supply chain shifts, rising affluent wealth, digitalisation, and an increasing focus on sustainability.
We provide high quality and innovative products, services and solutions to our clients in, into and from China, in a safe, efficient, and convenient manner.
For talents who join us, we’re sure that working with us will allow you to unleash your potential and provide you with a promising future. As our brand promise goes, we celebrate the diversity and foster an inclusive culture.
We are fully confident that we can deliver on the opportunities brought by China’s continuous growth and prosperity, and will continue its investment in China.Jerry Zhang
Executive Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, China, Cluster Chief Executive Officer (China & Japan
Our footprint in China at a glance
- We are one of the oldest international banks in China, our first branch opened in Shanghai in 1858, we‘ve had continuous operations since.
- We were among the first international banks locally incorporated in China, in 2007.
- We have outlets across nearly 30 coastal and inland cities in China, a testimony of our long-term commitment to China.
- We also have the most diversified licenses in China. In 2018, we become the first international bank to be granted a domestic fund custody license by CSRC.
Our local strategy
- We provide high quality and innovative products, services, and solutions to our clients, into and from China, in a safe, efficient, and convenient manner.
- We continue to invest in productivity, digitalisation, and financial innovation, and accelerate digital transformation.
- Ensuring prudent and compliant operation is our top priority. We’re committed to complying with the laws, rules, and regulations in the markets we operate in.
- We’re a force for good that contributes to sustainable development of the environment, communities, and society through collaboration.
- We’ve been steadily investing in China. In February 2022, the Group announced it will invest US$300 million into China related business over the next three years, to help our clients seize the opportunities arising from China’s continuous reform and opening-up.
This year, SCB China is very pleased to participate in ‘Top Employer’ certification program. This is the pride and proud for all of us. We encourage employees to integrate their aspirational goals with the future business strategy of the organization, invest in their capability development with reskilling & upskilling and career growth.Helena
Head, Human Resources, China
On top of being awarded as the “Top Employer China” in 2023, we are delighted to be recognised by a variety of awards in 2022 such as “2022 Aon China Best ESG Employer Award” by Aeon, “2022 Top Human Resources Management Award”, “100 Employer Excellence of China” and “Excellence in ESG Attraction of 2022” by 51 Job and “Extraordinary Employer” by Lie Pin.
Do you want to change the way people think about Banking, and be at the heart of that change? Do you want to join an organisation committed to their values and purpose? Are you looking for accelerated growth through that will fully empower you to shape your potential?
Are you ready to experience the world of Banking? Are you looking for an immersive Internship experience, that will give you first-hand experience of what it’s like to work in a global organisation?
Do you like to learn by getting involved? Are you interested in starting your career in a specialist area? Are you looking for a job that will enable you to learn from colleagues, take on lots of responsibility and work on interesting projects and assignments?
Consumer, Private and Business Banking (CPBB) Apprenticeship Programme is designed for nurturing young talent for the industry and provide participants with an opportunity to fast-track their careers in the industry in China. The programme targets fresh graduates from local universities who will be offered a twelve-month full-time career opportunity and industry-specific training.
Committed to your success
At Standard Chartered, we’re Here for good – and that means doing the right thing for our colleagues as well as for clients and communities. Whether you’re an experienced banking or technology professional, or you’re just starting to explore the exciting opportunities our sector can offer, we’ll make sure you enjoy the learning, development and support you need to thrive. You’ll also benefit from our caring culture, where the safety and wellbeing of our people always come first.
Every day at Standard Chartered is different, but as a Graduate, our days are typically structured to ensure we get the full benefit of the programme. Welcome to a day in my life as a Graduate in the Corporate, Commercial and Institution Banking (CCIB) team at Standard Chartered, Shanghai.
Nathan joined Standard Chartered’s as an International Graduate in 2020 after his time as a summer intern in 2019.
We’re reinventing banking to meet the needs of customers in the world’s most dynamic markets.
Join and help make a real difference, that goes well beyond wealth creation alone.
Our Fair Pay Charter is a public declaration of the principles which guide our reward and performance decision-making.