We work closely with local partners to deliver programmes that foster healthy and economically-empowered communities. In 2018, we invested $49.2 million in our communities and our colleagues contributed more than 65,000 volunteering days. It was a milestone year as we surpassed our $100 million fundraising target for Seeing is Believing (SiB), our global initiative to tackle avoidable blindness and visual impairment. We raised $5.2 million through fundraising and Bank-matching in 2018 and $103.6 million between 2003 and 2018, reaching 176 million people through SiB projects globally. As we approached our SiB target, we engaged with stakeholders to understand the challenges facing our communities and where we could make the greatest impact.
Find out how we are investing in communities globally
Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon
The five-star Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon is a flagship event that attracts thousands of runners from all over the world who join the race with their own #ReasonsToRun. Over 25,000 participated in the Marathon. We had over 150 staff who volunteered at the event and were involved in supporting a range of activities on the day.
Driving Empowerment for Youth in the UAE
UAE's vision of 2021 is to build a diversified and knowledge-based economy, powered by skilled Emiratis and strengthened world-class talent to ensure long-term prosperity. We fully support this vision and will provide Emirati youth with the right exposure to the professional world; deliver practical skills and business knowledge to raise their awareness and improve job readiness. Injaz and Standard Chartered’s partnership is built on a common goal and commitment to deliver work readiness and other development programmes for youth in the UAE with particular focus on Emiratis. Through this three-year partnership, we collectively aim to reach out to and positively impact 1000 students every year through various mentorship programmes covering Work Readiness, Entrepreneurship, Financial literacy. Work readiness will be our primary focus and this covers exciting modules like Steer your Career and Career success. These are highly personalised trainings that will build the knowledge, skills, attitudes that the youth today needs to be productive at work. Entrepreneurship will cover Innovation camps and Entrepreneurship masterclass. These are immersive workshops featuring real life experiences where students can work on a business case, take measured risks, learn from their outcomes.
Empowering girls to take on new challenges
Girls and young women have a massive economic and leadership potential, if they are given the chance to get the right education. That’s why as a leading international bank, we have made it our mission to give girls in our community the opportunity to be educated and empowered through our global programme – Goal. Through a combination of sports and life skills training, Goal programme aims to empower and equip girls aged between 12 and 18 with the confidence, knowledge, and skills they need to lead and influence their own futures. Together with Rawafed, our local implementing partner, and Dubai Charity School, we launched the GOAL programme in the UAE early September 2018. We're committing to reach 600,000 girls by 2020.
Employee Volunteering & other community programmes
We believe that volunteering is good for our communities, employees and our business. That's why we offer every one of our 2,200 staff in UAE three days paid leave to volunteer. Last year they volunteered nearly 6,568 hours in the community.
- In 2018, Standard Chartered celebrated 60 years in the UAE. We have kicked off our 60 years celebrations by planting 60 trees by 60 staff. This is a way to share our gratitude to this country and the community that supported us throughout these years and plant the seeds for the next 60 years and beyond.
- In 2018, Standard Chartered UAE staff went to shop with 60 underprivileged children as a part of our 60 years anniversary celebrations last Ramadan.
- In 2018, our UAE staff has packed over 25,000 Iftar meals for Labourers during Ramadan in collaboration with Red Crescent.
- In 2018, we have achieved Seeing is Believing target ahead of schedule. Standard Chartered UAE reached over 163 million people and raised USD 2.67 million in the UAE.
- In 2018, Standard Chartered UAE has partnered with Rawafed, our local implementing partner, and Dubai Charity School, we launched the GOAL programme in the UAE early September 2018. Goal reached more than 381,000 girls across more than 20 countries. We’re committed to reaching 600,000 girls by 2020