Kind of Personal Data Held
There are two broad categories of personal data held in the Bank. They comprise personal data contained in the following:
I. Customer records, which are necessary for customers to supply to the Bank from time to time in connection with matters such as:
(a)the opening or operation of accounts;
- the establishment or maintenance of facilities; and/or
- the establishment or operation or provision of products or services offered by or through the Bank (which include banking, cards, financial, insurance, fiduciary, securities and/or investments products and services as well as products and services relating to these); (collectively, Facilities, Products and Services); and/or
(b) the receipt of supplies and services to the Bank.
II. Personnel records, which include but are not limited to C.V.s; application forms; references; appraisal and disciplinary records; salary, pension and benefits details; results of medical, security and financial checks; sickness records; personal contact details; bank account and tax details of employees (including potential employees, as applicable); and any other information relevant to the purposes set out in paragraph IV.
Main Purposes of Keeping Personal Data
I. In relation to customers: the purposes for which any personal data collected by the Bank about customers may comprise all or any one or more of the following:
- processing applications from customers (including assessing the merits and/or suitability of the customers' application(s)) for the establishment of Facilities, Products and Services;
- operating, maintaining and providing Facilities, Products and Services to customers;
- conducting credit checks on customers (whether in respect of an application for Facilities, Products and Services or during regular or special review);
- creating and maintaining the Bank's credit scoring models;
- maintaining credit history of customers for present and future reference;
- assisting other financial institutions to conduct credit checks and collect debts;
- ensuring ongoing credit worthiness of customers;
- designing banking, cards, financial, insurance, securities and investment services or related products for customers' use;
- marketing services, products and other subjects as set out in more detail in our "Notice to customers and other individuals relating to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance and the Code of Practice on Customer Credit Data"
- determining the amount of indebtedness owed to or by customers;
- enforcement of customers' obligations, including without limitation the collection of amounts outstanding from customers and those providing security for customers' obligations;
- meeting or complying with any obligations, requirements or arrangements for disclosing and using data that apply to the Bank or any other member of the Standard Chartered Group or that it is expected to comply according to:-
- any law or regulation binding on or applying to it within or outside the Hong Kong existing currently and in the future;
- any guidelines or guidance given or issued by any legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authorities, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations of financial services providers within or outside Hong Kong existing currently and in the future;
- any present or future contractual or other commitment with local or foreign legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authorities, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations of financial services providers that is assumed by or imposed on the Bank or any member of the Standard Chartered Group by reason of its financial, commercial, business or other interests or activities in or related to the jurisdiction of the relevant local or foreign legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authority, or self-regulatory or industry bodies or associations;
- meeting or complying with any obligations, requirements, policies, procedures, measures or arrangements for sharing data and information within the Standard Chartered Group and/or any other use of data and information in accordance with any group-wide programmes for compliance with sanctions or prevention or detection of money laundering, terrorist financing or other unlawful activities;
- enabling an actual or potential assignee of all or any part of the business and/or asset of the Bank or participant or sub-participant of the Bank's rights in respect of the customers, to evaluate the transaction intended to be the subject of the assignment, participation or sub-participation, and/or
- any other purposes relating to the purposes listed above.
II. In relation to employees: the purposes for which any personal data collected by the Bank about employees may comprise any or all of the following:-
- processing employment application;
- apprising employees' job performance and making decisions about employees' promotion, training, transfer, redeployment or career development;
- determining, calculating and reviewing employees' salary, bonuses and any other staff benefits including pension entitlements;
- processing payment of employees' salary, other authorised expenses or benefits to employees' account or by any other means;
- taking appropriate action in event of emergencies;
- complying with any statutory requests received from relevant public authorities/agencies;
- any purpose required by law or regulation;
- disciplinary purposes arising from employees' conduct or employees' ability to perform their job requirements;
- providing references/reports to potential employers, financial institutions, legal representatives, and other appropriate bodies;
- planning succession and talent management initiatives;
- monitoring compliance with regulatory requirements and the Standard Chartered Group's internal policy requirements;
- enabling the Standard Chartered Group to make decisions and/or policies concerning its employees generally;
- enabling auditors to conduct regular reviews of the Standard Chartered Group's business and operations;
- supporting any business, technical, administrative or security function required by the Standard Chartered Group's operations, including, but not limited to: communication and processing systems; accident/ sickness insurance; security of staff, systems and premises (CCTV; card entry systems; IT security systems); telephone recording; contingency planning; systems development and testing; monitoring internet and telephone usage; business and financial, monitoring planning and decision making.
Retention of personal data
Personal data provided by customers and employees are retained for as long as the purposes for which such data were collected continue. As a general rule the maximum retention period is 7 years.
Cookies are small data files which are placed on your device when you visit certain parts of our website or click on our online advertisements. Cookies and similar technologies are used to identify your device for the following purposes:-
(i) Strictly necessary cookies. These essential cookies are set throughout our website and are required for the operation of our website to:
- allow our web server to determine whether the cookies setting on your web browser has been enabled or disabled. This allows us to know whether data can be collected from your web browser;
- temporarily allow you to carry information between pages of our website to avoid having to re-enter that information;
- temporarily identify your device after you have logged in to a secure page on our website so that our web server can maintain a dialogue with your web browser in order for you to carry out certain activities.
(ii) Analytical/performance cookies. These are used to help us improve our website by:
- tracking your visits to our website and recognising your web browser when you are a repeat visitor so that we can gather statistics on new and repeat visitors to evaluate site effectiveness.
(iii) Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to:
- personalise our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language and region);
- store your login and other preferences so you do not have to re-enter that information when you return to the website.
(iv) Targeting / advertising cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, your response to our online advertisements, track the pages you have visited and the website links you have followed. We use this information to:
- make our website more relevant to your interests;
- provide online advertisements or offers on our website or third-party websites which are most likely to interest you;
- evaluate the effectiveness of our online marketing and advertising programs.
The above cookies may be placed on your device by us or by third parties on our behalf (for example, advertising networks and providers of external services like web traffic analysis services). No personally identifiable information about you is collected or shared with third parties as a result of this research.
Most web browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can choose to 'not accept' cookies by changing the settings on your web browser but if you block all cookies, including strictly necessary cookies, you may find that certain features on our website will not work properly.
For further details of the Bank's Website Privacy Statement, please visit : (http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/website-privacy-statement.html).
Accessing your personal data
Data Protection Officer
Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
GPO Box 21, Hong Kong
account means, for each facility, service or product which the Bank may from time to time make available to the customers, the account that is, opened and/or maintained in respect of it from time to time.
card means an ATM card, a debit card, a credit card, or a revolving card or all of them, as the context requires.
Hong Kong means the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
Standard Chartered Group means each of or collectively Standard Chartered PLC and its subsidiaries and affiliates (including each branch or representative office).
Should there be any inconsistencies between the English and Chinese versions, the English version shall prevail.
Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited